Eye-level's Area 52

Eye-level

Banned
Thank you sir I will go download that soon as I only received the camera body charger and battery. Thanks Rick for mentioning it.

I don't care how smart you think you are you really need a manual...I don't have one yet...

More impressions...it is way lighter than my F2. So when using the sort of heavy metal 105 it is kind of unbalanced. On the other hand the "plasticky" Series E 50 is light, balances the camera well, and looks fantastic. I would really really REALLY love to have all of the Series E lenses and make a kit of it...which brings me to a little history via pictures...the following snap has an old EM in the middle...that was the first plastic Nikon camera ever made...they went full tilt on the EM and made a whole series of plastic lenses and a flash and a super cool plastic case for the EM. The targeted market was women but the system was a huge flop for Nikon likely due to the plastic construction. Most of the Series E lenses are excellent performers and despite being plastic are made in Japan and of high quality. They are the only lenses made in about the last 35 years or so that Nikon did not call Nikkors...they've never done it again since...which brings up the greatest thing about the following photo...I've said it before and I'll say it again...the greatest thing about your Nikon camera is the F mount bayonet... :)

cameras.jpg

F2-2.jpg

tide.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Excellent Rick...thanks for the link. I looked on Butkus but couldn't find one as I recall.

I bought my camera used from KEH so it came with nothing but the body and the charger...I had to buy cards etc...which I guess I didn't comment much about the camera condition itself. The cost was 379.95 and the camera cosmetically basically perfect...the only marks are on the base plate where someone put it on a tripod. I haven't checked accuation count as I don't know how to do that yet...the lens I bought was scratched up a little bit here and there but in pretty good condition really and most importantly the front and rear elements were clean and clear and scratch and mark free plus I got the 484th K series lens ever built which is kind of cool at least to me...

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND KEH!!!

Last edited:

fotojack

Excellent Rick...thanks for the link. I looked on Butkus but couldn't find one as I recall.

I bought my camera used from KEH so it came with nothing but the body and the charger...I had to buy cards etc...which I guess I didn't comment much about the camera condition itself. The cost was 379.95 and the camera cosmetically basically perfect...the only marks are on the base plate where someone put it on a tripod. I haven't checked accuation count as I don't know how to do that yet...the lens I bought was scratched up a little bit here and there but in pretty good condition really and most importantly the front and rear elements were clean and clear and scratch and mark free plus I got the 484th K series lens ever built which is kind of cool at least to me...

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND KEH!!!

According to the EXIF data on two of the shots you took with it, there a little over 5000 actuations on that camera. Not too bad at all, really.

If I may make a suggestion: check on Digital Cameras | Nikon Digital Camera, Lenses & More for any firmware updates for your D5000, and if there are any, I suggest you download and load them!

Eye-level

Banned
A little background information...I run an upholstery shop located within an used car lot. The gentlemen who owns the carlot pays a business called Dealer Specialities to come around and take pictures of his cars and list them at various places on the net. He had been paying them to list his stuff on Craigslist but he quit doing that. $400 a month! Well he knows I am into photography so he asked me a few weeks back if I wanted the job at $10 per car and he sells 15-20 cars per month. So I said well I need to get a digital camera. That is where the D5000 came in and I just really needed to get one anyway. So today I listed 5 cars 5 photos and made $50! Here is one of them shot with the 50mm...I had to stand far enough away to get the whole car in the frame that I was able to zone focus. I set the aperture at F8 and F16 and played around with various shutter speeds at 200 ISO mainly until I got the right image...this camera is frigging cool (and photobucket still sucks big balls)!

It was a very overcast day but fairly warm...terribly flat light...

lexus.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I shot about 50 pics today to get 16 good clear shots of the cars. I now have to whole inventory minus about 5 stragglers done. They were posted last night we had a hit on the lot this morning guy said he wished we'd put more pictures as he had to drive all the way down here to see if the other side of the car was as good as the one in the pic...that was the Lexus the one I posted last night here! Total posted today 16 so $160 bucks...inventory is caught up so now they will come at about 5 a week or so. He offered to pay me a flat fee plus $10 per car so the new deal is $150 per month plus $10 per car...one picture one craigslist ad...he'll update them himself.Also today I uploaded a manual, installed NX2 and Phototown or whatever it is, installed and updated a bunch of other crap such as google chrome (I know but I am an old timer haha), and updated firmware. Thanks to you all for providing me with the info so I didn't have to go searching for it. :)Also today while shooting the cars I discovered the rangefinder and rangefinder grid on my camera so I used that stuff today...here is a turd car haha...the 50mm Series E is a very good lens but I am wondering if maybe those od formulas don't work as great for the new sensors as they do for various types of film. At any rate they are definately good enough for cheap car advertising.

Terrible light again today can't wait for some sun! :)

_DSC0002.JPG

Last edited:

Rick M

The last shot looks a little washed out and I noticed you have active D lighting set to high. You might want to try shooting with it off.

Eye-level

Banned
The last shot looks a little washed out and I noticed you have active D lighting set to high. You might want to try shooting with it off.

I was wondering what active D lighting was and was playing with the settings...I thought it might have something to do with the Live View...

I shot like 4 for this car and picked this one because it exposed for the wheels better than the rest...it was a bad overcast rainy sort of day today all of them are sort of gloomy or over exposed slightly...

Eye-level

Banned
Out fiddling around with the 105...
The electronic rangefinder works pretty well although it is somewhat hard to see the focus dot but I think I can brighten it up maybe...

Top picture is Nikonite uploader bottom pic is photobucket....photobucket sucks big time....
043_01.JPG

Andrew2.jpg

Last edited:

fotojack

Actually, Jeff, you're better off NOT shooting in bright sunlight. Overcast days provide the best light for shooting outdoors. The clouds act as a natural light box.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes indeed...that's one big damn light box when the conditions are right huh? haha I was just happy to get out and make a few snaps this afternoon...

I like shooting late in the day...and speaking of light...

My sister said she just got wind that I went digital and she offered up a LN in box SB400 with diffuser for $50. I suppose I'll take it off her hands. Is the SB400 pretty decent? She said I really needed a SB600 with a Gary Fong lightsphere on it.

Rick M

I have the SB400 and it's a great little flash. A bit more power than the built in and it gets the flash up higher for larger lenses. You can also bounce (up only) with it and fill an average room. You'll still want an SB600 or 700 down the road. I don't do much flash work, so the SB400 fits my needs.

The fact that it fits in your pocket is nice too.