Ever feel ashamed about your D3100?

aroy

The only reason I like higher MP sensors is the scope they have for extensive cropping. In my case most of the time a crop does the job of a macro lense! Otherwise for normal shots even a 10MP is over kill.

traceyjj

The D3100 is currently my daughters camera, but when she "inherits" my D5100 for her college studies, and I get my full frame camera, I will have the D3100 as back up :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'll keep my reply short and based it on actual experience as a new photographer when I had my D80. I felt inferior when someone brought their D90 and i tend to just keep my camera in the bag.

Fast forward, this is more of a psychological issue since I am more eager to talk to other photogs and offer my help on how to use their camera.

mikevill

Not in the least. I absolutely LOVE my D3100. I have used it all around the world and I have gotten magnificent pictures with it.

I particularly like the second glances it gets from people because the camera body is red. :D

JackStalk

Someone is always going to have better gear than you. I felt really inadequate shooting a First Communion with my D3200 when some rich lady hired a guy walking around with a D4/70-200 setup. It blew me away the type of money people spend because he had to be charging her a bundle for that. I bought my D3 shortly after and I'm perfectly happy with it. A lot of people notice and comment on it, but that's what Gaffer's tape is for :encouragement:

I'm a super tech head with all of my hobbies, and I like to have high end equipment with everything I do. I've never once bashed someone for having an entry level DSLR, they still take excellent pictures.

Geoffc

Spare a thought for the D800/E owners. I went on holiday recently with one of the best cameras Nikon make and when I return it's defunct as a result of the 810 release and no longer takes decent pictures.

The only plus side is that I no longer have to explain why my pictures all look rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Spare a thought for the D800/E owners. I went on holiday recently with one of the best cameras Nikon make and when I return it's defunct as a result of the 810 release and no longer takes decent pictures.

The only plus side is that I no longer have to explain why my pictures all look rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL! That is the latest comment from KR now that he has the D810 and highly recommends it especially if you buy it from his sponsors.

Nero

Haha, I do the Ken Rockwell thing and budget the rest of my life so I can open up my wallet for fun stuff (cars/DJ equipment, cameras)

But unlike him you probably know how to take decent pictures. ;P

I'm the same way though, photography is pretty much the only thing I spend money on most of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Nero

LOL! That is the latest comment from KR now that he has the D810 and highly recommends it especially if you buy it from his sponsors.

Lol which one? He only has links to several dozen of them. XD

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

SkvLTD

Wouldn't say shame really, but I did feel disappointment when I reached my 5100's cap for what I wanted to shoot at the time. When taking pictures becomes a struggle to compensate for your equipment's low capabilities, fun starts to drain down the pipe.

JackStalk

Wouldn't say shame really, but I did feel disappointment when I reached my 5100's cap for what I wanted to shoot at the time. When taking pictures becomes a struggle to compensate for your equipment's low capabilities, fun starts to drain down the pipe.

I even silently complain to myself that the D3 only has a 25,000 max ISO while the D3s/d4/d4s can run 100/200/400 thousand at the high end. Then when I think about it, you really never need more than maybe 12,000 unless you're doing something insane. Fifteen years ago even 12,000ISO was unheard of. I would love to have a camera that completely sees in the dark, but it's not practical for me.

SkvLTD

I even silently complain to myself that the D3 only has a 25,000 max ISO while the D3s/d4/d4s can run 100/200/400 thousand at the high end. Then when I think about it, you really never need more than maybe 12,000 unless you're doing something insane. Fifteen years ago even 12,000ISO was unheard of. I would love to have a camera that completely sees in the dark, but it's not practical for me.

Haha, as long as that 12k is noise-free (not grain, noise noise) then I'd have to agree.

mac66

Do you ever feel ashamed when you admit to people that you only have a D3100?

I must admit that I adore telling people I have an entry-level, general public camera that is the cheapest Nikon DSLR you can buy. I just love the look on their faces when they see the macro photos I have taken with it. I am a reverse snob and I love my D3100.

It's like fishing. My eldest son bought me a nice graphite fly rod a number of years ago. On one of our trips, he noticed I brought along my 25 year old fiberglass rod. "What did you bring that old thing along for? He asked. "Because I know how it casts, and I catch a lot of fish with it!"

patrick in memphis

You can give a dummy a 3000$ camera ....it doesn't mean they are good photographers......man I should add that to my signature...lol.seriously a good photographer understand the basics of composting and could make a great photo with a 50$ camera........hence my large collection of parts...lol