Error press shutter release button

jimclassic

Hi Rico,
I have D3100, sorry but dint get your troubleshooting step. Could you please elaborate. I am have same shutter issue.

Thanks in Advance
Jim

AlexKV

I actually have D5000 model. And after disassembling it and removing rear panel with buttons and display, I was curious and wanted to try if the camera will shoot a picture like that. What happened is that the mirror went up and got stuck there. When I reassembled the camera, it says "press shutter button again", but when pressed, i just hear the motor squeaking and trying to move the mirror even more upwards.
Then I found out about the red gear on the bottom and rolled it so the mirror went down again (shutter also went back into primary position), the error message still shows and when i press the shutter button again, the mirror again goes up and stays there. Tried this few times, and don't know what to do more? Has this happened to anyone?

azone

This fix worked for my D5100!
The Camera had been dropped and I got the same error message.
I did as described in this thread and it freed up the shutter. Thanks You!

dsvanderbilt

Get this!! Here's another thing about this....and another possible factor. After I got the shutter to work again, I noticed dark obstructions on the recorded image....then IN the viewfinder! I looked, and now I see the entire shutter mirror is detached! The GLUE/epoxy/adhesive completely separated. I now think this may have been due to the camera having been exposed to extremely hot New Mexico sun in recent days. That probably dislocated the mirror ever so slightly- causing the error message. Now I need to adhere the mirror back in place, then all should be fine. Any suggestions on what to use? Small dabs of epoxy?? I did notice the correct orientation of the shutter mirror, so I should not have much difficulty.

lamppu

Hi Rico and everyone, I was so thrilled to find this thread. However, after looking at my camera's mirror, my situation is a little different. My mirror is stuck in the upwards position. I can push the mirror down (or open) but then snaps up again (or closes). I am getting the same error message. Do you guys have any clues as to how to fix this problem?

Here's the current state of my camera taken with a flash. The arrow points to the mirror.
View attachment 35437

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but it still shows up on Google for this error, so I thought to give my 2 cents.

I had the same issue with my D3200 as opheliarose: the mirror was up and not stuck, but the shutter seemed to be stuck half open. I tried to push the aperture lever down (just inside the hole on the left), but it was also stuck. Having watched some videos of it, it should be effortlessly pushed down with a finger, but mine didn’t move a notch.

My camera was out of warranty and I couldn’t afford any expensive service, so with nothing to lose, I decided to try to force the lever with my Leatherman. I bent the lever a bit until it finally started to move down. Then I moved it up and down a few more times, until it was moving smoothly and effortlessly, even with a finger. I turned on the camera and bang - it started to work again!

Do at your own risk. It’s always better to send the camera to service, but if your camera is out of warranty and you don’t have the money for service, this might be worth a try!

Caro

Hi Rico (if you are still active here), I want to thank you for posting regarding the D5100 stuck mirror way back in 2012. I know it's a pretty outdated model now but I've had years of trouble-free use and still take it out in harsher conditions where I don't want to expose my newer equipment. Last week I dropped the D5100 for the first time (stupid me) and the mirror stuck (twisted a bit on left side when pressing shutter release, right side of mirror stuck). I worked through all the settings and other non-invasive tricks but after reading various posts on various sites, your post finally gave me the courage to push the mirror a little sideways and lift a little at the bottom with a plastic stick while repeatedly pressing the shutter release button. It did take quite some attempts and a little more force than expected and the battery went flat (had a spare on hand) but in the end the mirror jumped up and all seems to be working ok now! Thank you. You saved my day and prevented me from burdening the world with yet another piece of electronic junk that is easily repairable (if you know how)!

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Rico (if you are still active here), I want to thank you for posting regarding the D5100 stuck mirror way back in 2012. I know it's a pretty outdated model now but I've had years of trouble-free use and still take it out in harsher conditions where I don't want to expose my newer equipment. Last week I dropped the D5100 for the first time (stupid me) and the mirror stuck (twisted a bit on left side when pressing shutter release, right side of mirror stuck). I worked through all the settings and other non-invasive tricks but after reading various posts on various sites, your post finally gave me the courage to push the mirror a little sideways and lift a little at the bottom with a plastic stick while repeatedly pressing the shutter release button. It did take quite some attempts and a little more force than expected and the battery went flat (had a spare on hand) but in the end the mirror jumped up and all seems to be working ok now! Thank you. You saved my day and prevented me from burdening the world with yet another piece of electronic junk that is easily repairable (if you know how)!

Welcome!

Glad you were able to find the solution to your problem.

Please stick around. We're friendly and helpful!