Error press shutter release button

Gerrysole

Many, many, many thanks Rico. You saved my vacations! My camera dropped from the bed to the floor, days prior to my cruise. So, no time for technical service. Your advice was simple and fast.
Thanks!

gpj065

I'm a D5100 user and I had this shutter release button problem too. I fixed the mirror and it still did not work. I fully charged the batters and it still did not work. I was getting upset reading all the successful recovery stories in this thread and not getting the same result myself. My last roll of the dice was to put in a new SD memory card ...... BINGO !

So .... add this to the trouble shooing list for this problem. SD card was damaged and this was causing the problem for me. Shutter would not click until I put in a new SD card.

Tom

Rico,

Thank you for your brilliant solution.

Had the same problem, "Err Press shutter release again", and at first thought a circuit board was fried. I lost an entire weekend of my daughter's travel meet. When we got home, I gathered up my receipt and warranty (the camera, a D5100, is only about 6 months old) with the expectation that it was going back to Nikon.

On a flier, I did a search for similar problems, found a lot, found a lot of unappealing solutions (WD-40 inside a camera didn't seem like a good idea) and stumbled on your post by chance. Looking carefully at your later posted pictures, it seemed like I had a similar problem. Your solution worked like a charm and didn't take a neurosurgeon to free the mirror.

Your insight should really be part of the D5100 User Manual--or perhaps a Survivors Manual.

Tom

JackH

Thank you for the tip. I had the same problem, and as you suggested carefully lifted the mirror the camera works fine again.

clovell

I've been getting this error for about a month with my d5100, which I've owned for about 14 months. Rico's advice didn't do the trick for me. Here's the weird thing: if I put my old 50mm f1.8 ai lens on the d5100, the camera works fine. I can take as many pictures as I like without any error messages, shutter problems, etc. Of course, with that lens I don't get metering or autofocus. As soon as I put on any kind of AF lens (I have both AF and AF-S) I get the error message. I've switched SD cards, made sure the battery is fully charged, taken the battery out of the camera for an extended period and put it back in, reset the camera, and I still get the error.

So, I'm pretty sure the problem is electronic rather than mechanical, and that the camera needs to go in for service. My question is: is it worth it? The camera is no longer under warranty (I bought it used), and I'm in Rome, so the repair would be done in Italy. Does anyone have any idea how much repair might cost here? I will be returning to the US in a few months if it would be significantly cheaper there.

Thanks for any advice!

SuperHamz

Hi guys,
I've gotta say thanks for Rico for putting up the solution for this - I was doing my head in this morning when I picked up my camera and it wasn't working.
You've saved me a lot of time and money in repairs!
Signed up to the forum especially to say thanks.

Yurgen

Thanks a LOT! I just resolved "Error press shutter release button" issue by following your instructions. Thanks a LOT again.

Angeline

Hi, thank you Rico for that wonderful step by step instruction. Now, my D5100 is okay, back to taking pictures again. No need to worry for sending it to technician for repair. Thanks a lot :)

wthorson

I just had a similar problem on my D5100 and was advised to send it back for repair. After comparing mine side by side to another at a camera shop, (remove lens and with camera on press shutter release button) the lower right corner of the mirror was binding with the stop. We were able to GENTLY pry the lower right corner of the mirror away from the stop (from the right, not underneath) and now it is functioning flawlessly.

Hope this helps, I was able to save a lot of time and not miss taking pictures at my daughter's volleyball tournament.

Rico, this is exactly what happened to my D5100. I tried budging the mirror but it isn't moving. Is there a trick that you used to get this mirror to move? Mine is binding on the lower right corner also. Thanks.

Thank you so so much!! I took my D5100 to our local camera shot and they said I needed to send it to nikon and it could cost me any where from 250-400 to fix.. I found this forum and followed the advice and now the camera is working again!! Thanks so much!!

Intruder321

Rico, you rock mate ! I was having sleepless nights thinking about the Nikon repair costs on my D5100. But I followed your advice and gently pried away the mirror from the right and voila ! It's back to normal ! Thanks mate, god bless you !

vika

Rico, thank you very much, I did repair the same way you did it. I just pushed mirror from the right site to the left. Look like I released the mirror

anil

I just had a similar problem on my D5100 and was advised to send it back for repair. After comparing mine side by side to another at a camera shop, (remove lens and with camera on press shutter release button) the lower right corner of the mirror was binding with the stop. We were able to GENTLY pry the lower right corner of the mirror away from the stop (from the right, not underneath) and now it is functioning flawlessly.

Hope this helps, I was able to save a lot of time and not miss taking pictures at my daughter's volleyball tournament.

Thanks Rico.

I had dropped my D5100 from 1 meter height to the floor and had the same error message (Release Shutter...) displayed. Missed taking pictures on the last day of my vacation but more than that I was pissed that I spoiled the camera and need to find service center and pay for it (God knows how much they would charge me for that). But then I decided to see if others had the same problem and I was directed to this page and man, you rock. I know it's 3 years since you posted the fix but I couldn't resist to Register only to say THANK YOU to you my friend.

Admin, please don't kill this thread and let other benefit from Rico's fix.

Keep up the good work.

~MUR~

Had same problem with my Nikon. Followed the advice of rico. Still my prob exist. There is a black shade/stripe always on the bottom side of the view/pic, which is higher on right side and lower at left side.
Can not remove it.
Anybody has any idea abour how to solve it?

Daz

Funny enough I had this on my 3300 yesterday when taking some shots at the Aquarium, on the trip back from Manly to the Wharf there was a strong gust of wind whilst I was changing a lens, it pushed me back in my chair and some wind got into the camera, not a bad thing, it has worked fine since

Seems that something was lodged in there ...

nancam

This was exactly the problem on my D3100 .. about 3.5 years old and around 50-60,000 shots taken. Camera has been babied, certainly never dropped. I can see where it it was rubbing a bit against that 'stopper', it sure seems like a design issue.

Muchas gracias for the tip and pictures. With the price of shipping and repairs, it would have just been easier to get a newer body. Hmmm ...

terril

wow, I was about to give up on my camera, but your solution worked! can't thank you enough (although I worry that it could recur up again at any time)

Moonrunner

I had the same problem with my Nikon D5100. I took the lens off, turn it on and pressed the shutter release a few times and now it works just like new.