Do you own a D800/D800E?

hrstrat57

Your right my friend! Since it is winter, my next lens to get as I can is the nikkor af 180mm f2.8 d! After that out of tax return money hopefully, I'll be able to buy the Nikkor af 80mm-200mm f2.8 d like you have buddy! Lol :D

Best bit of kit I have owned since Minolta Maxxum AF 200 f 2.8 (white magic)

move it to a the top of your list Bill!

D200freak

What I find interesting, after having spent quite a few hours searching ebay and other places, is that all the wider angle lenses tend to be considerably more expensive than longer lenses. Lenses 80mm and longer on ebay are (usually) very inexpensive. But there are really no screaming bargains in anything shorter than 18mm. 10? 12? 14? 15? Fairly pricey. Particularly if they're something like a 10-24mm or 15-30.

I'm not currently really looking for any zoom lenses. Assuming I successfully complete the repair on the Nikon 80-400mm lens I'm currently repairing, I'll have that and my 150-600 Tamron as well as 28-100mm and 70-300mm lenses to choose from. And those are just the lenses that I know are full FX format type lenses, or at least I'm sure some are and believe the others are, but won't actually know for absolute certain until I try them on the D800 tomorrow.

Bill16

I bought primes for my wide angle lenses! The Nikkor af-d 20mm lens is due to arrive tomorrow and I also have the 24mm,28mm,and the 35mm for mildly wide shots! For extremely wide I use to have a Tokina 14mm f2.8, but I traded it off since I felt it was wider than I needed! So maybe a prime might work temporarily if nothing else?:)

What I find interesting, after having spent quite a few hours searching ebay and other places, is that all the wider angle lenses tend to be considerably more expensive than longer lenses. Lenses 80mm and longer on ebay are (usually) very inexpensive. But there are really no screaming bargains in anything shorter than 18mm. 10? 12? 14? 15? Fairly pricey. Particularly if they're something like a 10-24mm or 15-30.

I'm not currently really looking for any zoom lenses. Assuming I successfully complete the repair on the Nikon 80-400mm lens I'm currently repairing, I'll have that and my 150-600 Tamron as well as 28-100mm and 70-300mm lenses to choose from. And those are just the lenses that I know are full FX format type lenses, or at least I'm sure some are and believe the others are, but won't actually know for absolute certain until I try them on the D800 tomorrow.

Bill16

PS. You might not want or need a lens that wide on a FX camera buddy. A 24mm is commonly used and the 20mm is pretty wide! The 14mm is more of a night sky lens in my opinion, a works well after seeing [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] 's shots with it! Lol :)

D200freak

Well, let me tell you what some of my intended applications are, and you make recommendations.

First, event photography. At the stage, at night, lots of lights, and I'm forward of the mosh pit trying to capture the whole stage in one image. But this won't be a common occurrence.

Second, general gatherings at parties, usually outdoors and usually in the daytime. This would include the occasional wedding.

Third, and I have this covered already with my long, fast focusing Tamzooka, photographing fast moving cars at racetracks. This should be great at airshows as well.

Fourth, I want to see what I can do in the way of photgraphing the night sky.

Fifth, wildlife at some distance, that being variable from feet to hundreds of feet.

I'll even stop to photograph bugs and plants but that's incidental and not a primary purpose.

I'm really not going to be doing much portrait work.

Bill16

The issue you might need to consider first is, what do you want/need to shoot most or soonest! Unless your wealthy, covering all those bases right away won't be very doable.
I'm not a pro nor do I know about very many zooms, and can only recommend primes mostly from first hand knowledge. Other options would be for what I heard only.

Now for the stage lens that needs to be very wide, the 20mm might work, and if not a 14mm is an option.

The lens my buddy hrstrat57 recommend would be a good lens to start with though. Then to cover all your bases with best results, the Trinity of Nikkor AF-S lenses would likely fill your needs best, but it will cost you.

Others here are way more knowledgeable than I am. I seem to know just enough to know what lenses I want/need, and so I suggest you try your new D800 so you can see the differences from the DX models your used to so far. Then you might have a better idea of what you want to get first! :)

Well, let me tell you what some of my intended applications are, and you make recommendations.

First, event photography. At the stage, at night, lots of lights, and I'm forward of the mosh pit trying to capture the whole stage in one image. But this won't be a common occurrence.

Second, general gatherings at parties, usually outdoors and usually in the daytime. This would include the occasional wedding.

Third, and I have this covered already with my long, fast focusing Tamzooka, photographing fast moving cars at racetracks. This should be great at airshows as well.

Fourth, I want to see what I can do in the way of photgraphing the night sky.

Fifth, wildlife at some distance, that being variable from feet to hundreds of feet.

I'll even stop to photograph bugs and plants but that's incidental and not a primary purpose.

I'm really not going to be doing much portrait work.

D200freak

I have a D800 sitting on my desk right now. Battery now fully charged, I'm beginning to explore what this camera can do. First thing is to set the controls to duplicate my D200 setup. I think it'll do that.

In manual mode, Front roller, F-stop. Back roller, exposure. ISO to auto, default 100.

First impressions are quite favorable.

Bill16

I hope you'll end up loving it my friend! Once I started getting use to my D800E it became a blast to use! But be ready for the big file size, this baby produces! Lol :)

I have a D800 sitting on my desk right now. Battery now fully charged, I'm beginning to explore what this camera can do. First thing is to set the controls to duplicate my D200 setup. I think it'll do that.

In manual mode, Front roller, F-stop. Back roller, exposure. ISO to auto, default 100.

First impressions are quite favorable.

D200freak

I have already been really impressed at how good photos come out when taken as the sky is getting dark,
sun already down. Low light performance is very impressive. Using program mode and letting the camera handle the ISO setting.

I still think my D200s are great cameras but their restricted ISO capability is a limitation.

D200freak

Has anyone here installed a diopter eyepiece in his D800/810? What's the procedure? I don't want to start just taking things apart at random. Not on a working camera.

Having a suitable diopter eyepiece would make using this camera more pleasurable.

Bill16

Do you have any updates for us on your changing your eye piece? I've changed the rubber cup onto mine, but not the actual eye piece!

Has anyone here installed a diopter eyepiece in his D800/810? What's the procedure? I don't want to start just taking things apart at random. Not on a working camera.

Having a suitable diopter eyepiece would make using this camera more pleasurable.

D200freak

No, still debating on whether or not I actually need it. The stock eyepiece is fine when I wear my glasses, but I prefer to NOT wear my glasses any time that I don't need them.

I'm learning a lot about the D800. It can do so much more than I even imagined it could. Especially in the video mode. I think I'll be making use of the video mode fairly regularly.

Bill16

I shoot with my glasses on! My eyes are too bad to want to bother changing out eyepieces! Lol :)
Yes the D8xx series are awesome cameras!:D

No, still debating on whether or not I actually need it. The stock eyepiece is fine when I wear my glasses, but I prefer to NOT wear my glasses any time that I don't need them.

I'm learning a lot about the D800. It can do so much more than I even imagined it could. Especially in the video mode. I think I'll be making use of the video mode fairly regularly.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've changed the eye piece on my Df (same as D700-8xx serie). It's just a question of unscrewing and screwing it back in place. The reason I did it is that the original came loose from the Df and I finally lost it... I got the magnifying eye piece to replace it. It magnifies the actual focusing screen making things a lot easier for manual focusing. It's really a no brainer to replace it.

D200freak

Today I got to try out one of the Nikkor 14-24mm F/2.8 lenses. The perspective takes a bit of getting used to, and particularly off to the sides of the photos things look a bit ODD but I can definitely see myself budgeting to buy one. Pretty neat piece of glass. I can see it being put to good use quite often.

Blacktop

Today I got to try out one of the Nikkor 14-24mm F/2.8 lenses. The perspective takes a bit of getting used to, and particularly off to the sides of the photos things look a bit ODD but I can definitely see myself budgeting to buy one. Pretty neat piece of glass. I can see it being put to good use quite often.

I see NAS is kicking in. May the force be with you!:)

D200freak

Nikon Acquisition Syndrome?

What makes you think that?

Current Nikon camera inventory:
D800
D200
D200
D200
D200
D70
D3000
D3200
D5000

What would ever make you think I have NAS?

D200freak

Most of these I bought really cheap just to resell and make a small profit. That seems to be working. I intend to pare it down to one D200 and the D800 and the rest are being sold.