Do you own a D800/D800E?

TedG954

I love my D800. The IQ is excellent and with the right lenses, it is a superior camera.

9-28-15 CLE Mall   18.jpg

9-28-15 Old Stone Church   7.jpg

9-28-15 CLE Mall   12.jpg

D200freak

I just bought one. looking forward to getting it. I had an experienced camera tech, familiar with the D800 focus issues and recall, check the camera out to be sure that it doesn't suffer from that issue. It's fine.

My only concern is that its shutter count is around 103K. Fortunately, I can get a new shutter assembly for under 50 dollars and I am quite capable of doing the shutter assembly replacement myself. I am a very well experienced electronics technician and I also work on mechanical wristwatches for fun, so there's no part of shutter replacement that would perturb me.

I'll probably swap out the shutter on my highest mileage D200 (130K clicks or so) just for the practice and the experience of it. Then sell that camera, being able to honestly say it has a new shutter.

Bill16

That is awesome my friend! Talk about moving up in models fast, wow! Lol:)

I think you will love the D800! It is an awesome camera!:D I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, when you get a chance to get some shots with it!:D

I just bought one. looking forward to getting it. I had an experienced camera tech, familiar with the D800 focus issues and recall, check the camera out to be sure that it doesn't suffer from that issue. It's fine.

My only concern is that its shutter count is around 103K. Fortunately, I can get a new shutter assembly for under 50 dollars and I am quite capable of doing the shutter assembly replacement myself. I am a very well experienced electronics technician and I also work on mechanical wristwatches for fun, so there's no part of shutter replacement that would perturb me.

I'll probably swap out the shutter on my highest mileage D200 (130K clicks or so) just for the practice and the experience of it. Then sell that camera, being able to honestly say it has a new shutter.

D200freak

UPS says I should be camped out at the front door on Thursday. What that means is that I'll probably try to hunt down the UPS driver earlier in the run, which I've done on numerous occasions, just because I hate waiting!

I managed this upgrade from D200s to a D800 by selling off something that had considerable value but I found that i was never using it much anymore. And I put aside a few hundred extra in the process.

The only problem with getting the D800 is that now I'm going to have to start budgeting to buy FX format lenses. Right now my only full frame format lens in my Tamron 150-600. I'll need to pick up something that's more of a general purpose, daily use lens in full frame format pretty quickly. Please feel free to make recommendations. Something that's as generally useful as the 18-55 VR II kit lens but in FX format?

D200freak

Yeah, those are rather pricey. I'll end up wih one of them eventually but for now I'm looking for a budget version, to get me by for my nephew's wedding coming up soon.

I had a choice: I could buy the D800 or I could have bought ONE nice lens. I had a 1200 dollar budget to
play with. I chose the camera. I can get by with my other lenses in crop mode.

I'm looking to get a 12-24 F/2.8, a 24-70 like you mentioned, and its 70-200 brother as well. All in good time, as I can afford them.

D200freak

Uh, as cheap as possible and still get good pictures? What do I win?:D

I'll set a number, which is subject to change according to how things go in my personal income situation, which is partially tied to how well my auctions go on ebay. A few good auctions and the number gets bigger.

400 bucks.

Horoscope Fish

Uh, as cheap as possible and still get good pictures? What do I win?:D

I'll set a number, which is subject to change according to how things go in my personal income situation, which is partially tied to how well my auctions go on ebay. A few good auctions and the number gets bigger.

400 bucks.
Based on your criteria (flexibility of the 18-55mm, but in FX flavor and a budget of $400, give or take) I don't have any specific suggestions for you.

You could get a 50mm or 85mm prime for that kind of money, or possibly score something on the used market, but $400 just doesn't go all that far on the FX zoom-lens market. The closest thing I could come to that, buying new, would be a grey market Nikon 24-120mm f/4. Last time I checked those were going for $650-$700.

Maybe someone else can do better...

D200freak

Let me redefine: A wide angle zoom lens that doesn't necessarily have a wide zoom range.

For example, 12-24, or 14-24, or 15-30. Not too picky about it being an F/2.8 or F/4, whatever. I'm not yet advanced enough to want to pay the premium for a faster lens.

It doesn't have to be a Nikon lens. Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Samyang, Rokinon, I can't afford to be that picky at this time.

Horoscope Fish

Let me redefine: A wide angle zoom lens that doesn't necessarily have a wide zoom range.

For example, 12-24, or 14-24, or 15-30. Not too picky about it being an F/2.8 or F/4, whatever. I'm not yet advanced enough to want to pay the premium for a faster lens.

It doesn't have to be a Nikon lens. Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Samyang, Rokinon, I can't afford to be that picky at this time.
The only thing I can come up with would be the Tokina 17-35mm f/4 FX AF. It's about $450 or thereabouts... No real, direct experience with shooting it however.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Paul: Check out the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II. I've been pretty happy with mine - especially at the price point. I tend to shoot landscape/travel so I wasn't too concerned about speed.

Horoscope Fish

Paul: Check out the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II. I've been pretty happy with mine - especially at the price point. I tend to shoot landscape/travel so I wasn't too concerned about speed.
I thought that an $800 or $900 lens... ??

If it's within budget, I agree it should be a serious contender.

D200freak

I'm all about buying used. There was a lens about like what I wanted, on ebay yesterday, for under a hundred bucks but it was Canon mount. So...nuts.

So my 400 dollar budget might get me into something pretty nice if it comes from the used category.

Bill16

Though my preference is for primes, the Nikkor af-d lens that I bought were often around your price range! I'm a big fan of them, and maybe you can find a good lens that will work for you out of them! :)
I buy 99% of my photography gear used, and in my opinion I have some great kit, on a fairly small budget! The most expensive lens I've bought so far was $750.00 for a Nikkor af 85mm f1.4 D ! Since you have a D800 the D lenses will work for you too if you like them! :D

I'm all about buying used. There was a lens about like what I wanted, on ebay yesterday, for under a hundred bucks but it was Canon mount. So...nuts.

So my 400 dollar budget might get me into something pretty nice if it comes from the used category.

hrstrat57

Though my preference is for primes, the Nikkor af-d lens that I bought were often around your price range! I'm a big fan of them, and maybe you can find a good lens that will work for you out of them! :)
I buy 99% of my photography gear used, and in my opinion I have some great kit, on a fairly small budget! The most expensive lens I've bought so far was $750.00 for a Nikkor af 85mm f1.4 D ! Since you have a D800 the D lenses will work for you too if you like them! :D

I think you and me are in a lock down struggle @Bill16 for the title of biggest fan of Nikon D glass on Nikonites!

Folks should really jump on the bandwagon, if not more for us!!

Bill16

Your right my friend! Since it is winter, my next lens to get as I can is the nikkor af 180mm f2.8 d! After that out of tax return money hopefully, I'll be able to buy the Nikkor af 80mm-200mm f2.8 d like you have buddy! Lol :D

I think you and me are in a lock down struggle @Bill16 for the title of biggest fan of Nikon D glass on Nikonites!

Folks should really jump on the bandwagon, if not more for us!!