D750 - What it doesn't come with that makes me...

Whiskeyman

Jake, I get your point. It makes me wonder where else corners are cut, like did they also go with a cheaper component inside the camera or lens that I'll end up paying a whole lot more for later? I seem to remember my dad asking about the same when I bought my first Nikon, an FM. It had the protector, but it was nowhere like the one that came with his Minolta (or was it a Mimaya?) that completely covered the top of the hot shoe rails, as well.

Pretzel, I get where you're going with corporations getting cheap, but I've also got to put some of the blame on consumers, as well. How many people shop on price alone, and will buy a piece of junk to save a penny? Maybe it's our throw-away society with the attention span of a fruit fly's life that allows this to happen, but the majority of consumers just don't care. Which is troubling.

WM

J-see

Jake, I get your point. It makes me wonder where else corners are cut, like did they also go with a cheaper component inside the camera or lens that I'll end up paying a whole lot more for later? I seem to remember my dad asking about the same when I bought my first Nikon, an FM. It had the protector, but it was nowhere like the one that came with his Minolta (or was it a Mimaya?) that completely covered the top of the hot shoe rails, as well.

You can be sure they cut corners by using cheaper components. That's done everywhere with everything. To increase profit/lower costs, first raw materials and manufacturing are pressured into faster, more and cheaper but we've arrived at a point there's little left that can be gained there. What is going on for quite some time now is lowering the life-expectancy of everything by using materials that fail when you prefer them to fail. Or provide less for the same amount of money preferably using the same old wrappings in order to mislead the consumer. Yes there's fine print and such but it's very fine.

This is going on for years from the food industry up to the car you buy. It won't be different with Nikon.

AC016

Pretzel, I get where you're going with corporations getting cheap, but I've also got to put some of the blame on consumers, as well. How many people shop on price alone, and will buy a piece of junk to save a penny? Maybe it's our throw-away society with the attention span of a fruit fly's life that allows this to happen, but the majority of consumers just don't care. Which is troubling.

WM

Actually, fruit flies have a life span of 40-50 days. A better example would be a Mayfly, which only lives for 24 hours. Just saying ;)

Browncoat

I'd be pissed, too.

And to those who are saying that no one uses hot shoe protectors, that everyone just chucks it into a drawer anyway...I don't. All of my bodies have a hot shoe protector on at all times unless there is a flash/trigger on there instead. I take special care not to lose them, and have a few extras just in case one does get misplaced. The hot shoe connection is very sensitive and it can be expensive to replace.

Pretzel

WM

I actually work in a "Customer Service" function, so I get to train folks just beginning their careers about the value of service and give them examples of businesses that aren't necessarily the "cheapest", but have fantastic reputations because of the level of service they provide. I'm one of the "not so many" that doesn't shop just for price...

Unfortunately, I think I'm one of the dwindling few.

Whiskeyman

I actually work in a "Customer Service" function, so I get to train folks just beginning their careers about the value of service and give them examples of businesses that aren't necessarily the "cheapest", but have fantastic reputations because of the level of service they provide. I'm one of the "not so many" that doesn't shop just for price...

Unfortunately, I think I'm one of the dwindling few.

Hopefully, some of those you are training will carry on the legacy.

Last edited:

Browncoat

We made a conscious decision as a society to value quantity over quality a long time ago. Overall, "cheap and replaceable" trumps quality in our economy. Steel and other metals were replaced with plastic in most of our products. We'd rather go to Ikea and buy cheap stuff in a box that we have to assemble ourselves versus going to a furniture store. It's often more expensive to service a broken product than it is just to replace it.

Heck, there are a number of "disposable printers" you can buy now. Run out of printer ink? Just throw the printer away and get a new one because they're so cheap, and it costs more to buy the ink cartridges.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I have always used the hot shoe protectors.....just to prevent any possible damage....and I agree that no one should have to pay for them seperately...they should be included in the hefty price that we all pay. Kind of silly to bitch and moan about such a small piece of plastic, but it shows that companies are just penny pinching to save a plug nickel. I think to omit putting these on their new cameras is a mistake. It just shows how cheaply the cameras are being made today.

Jon Rowlison

Also a D750 owner and I can confirm there is no shoe cover. I, for one, always keep mine on there... I guess I'll be spending the $2 plus shipping to get one. It seems strange they'd cut out that part while still giving you that body cover where the lens screws on as well as a neckstrap which both must cost more than that shoe cover. I like how some cameras come with a generic "Nikon" strap while others call out the model of the camera specifically.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
And if you'd rather have a new in box D610 with 0 actuations, PM me!! And want the damn piece I'll take $2 off your shipping. ;)

You aren't going to keep the D610 now? :eek:

So it sounds like you are a D750 owner, right? Can you update your camera info in your profile...gee I can't keep up with all the new gear you keep buyin'. ;)

Since I opted to put the Delkin Snug-It skins on my cameras, I had to remove the hot shoe protectors because there is a silicone tab that slides into the hot shoe to protect it. You should have seen me when I first opened my D90 box (my first DSLR). I looked at the hot shoe cover saying to myself, What the heck is that??? Neither my N90s nor N70 had hot shoe covers.

If anyone is interested, Amazon sells the hot shoe covers for $2 as an add-on item.

Clactonian

Got mine. Love it. Couldn't give a *** about the hot shoe cover. I wasn't expecting one as I researched the box contents before purchase. Never ever used one in the past so it's not a problem for me. Too busy taking photographs!