D750 - What it doesn't come with that makes me...

J-see

I sure as heck notice when I drop big bucks on a Nikon lens and get a cheap, flimsy, drawstring bag I immediately toss in the trash. By way of contrast I was pretty impressed when my Sigma lenses all arrived in high quality, semi-rigid cases with sturdy zippers and lots of thick foam padding, Each lens case was customized to the specific lens it contained and the whole presentation just oozed quality. It inspires confidence and makes you feel *good* about your purchase.

Details. Matter.

Indeed. When I bought the 200mm f/4 it had an impressive case included. The type that makes you feel comfortable while you stumble down the stairs holding it.

My other lenses have the type of bag I used to put marbles in when I was a kid. When looking at those bags, the first thing you do is wonder if the lenses too are cheap crap.

riskinstrument

Look at it from their accountant's view. If they put one on every D750, and then sold 10 million D 750's, they'd be out 20 MILLION DOLLARS!
You can't expect a company to stay in business giving away that kind of money.

riskinstrument

You're not seeing the big picture, and neither does Nikon.
Yeah, I am. Never seen a camera damaged because it didn't have one, and a lot of people never buy a flash.
A lot of people loose them or throw them in a bag or drawer.
If you really think it will hurt not having one then buy one. Nikon cutting costs by not including something most don't care about. I'd be more worried about corners being cut in the camera.
And 2 times ten million is twenty million, which was sarcasm.

J-see

Yeah, I am. Never seen a camera damaged because it didn't have one, and a lot of people never buy a flash.
A lot of people loose them or throw them in a bag or drawer.
If you really think it will hurt not having one then buy one. Nikon cutting costs by not including something most don't care about. I'd be more worried about corners being cut in the camera.
And 2 times ten million is twenty million, which was sarcasm.

It's still stupid; include one and ask a dollar more. There; 80 cent profit.

BackdoorArts

Anyone who thinks that I'm crying about a $2 piece of plastic has missed the point entirely. My point is not that I now need to buy one and I'm simply bitching about it. My point is about understanding what the decision to remove a protective accessory from their two most expensive pro-sumer level camera kits (D810 and D750), after including it for decades as a part of every kit they've sold, means in the big picture. Follow me into the weeds for a minute, because I'm coming back out the other end...

There's a reason it was there in the first place, even if it was simply to be discarded into a drawer or even the garbage, and some photographers use it and value it (like I said, I was pissed when I lost mine in the weeds in a rare need to use a flash). To selectively omit it with no explanation, while continuing to offer it as an optional accessory, speaks of nickel and dime-ing your customers - at least it does in my book. It also tells me that the company who makes equipment that I have invested somewhere well north of $10,000 in over the last 5 years (I truly don't want to add up the real numbers) no longer gives a rats ass about me and my needs as a photographer, and are expressing their contempt in a rather arbitrary way.

I don't care if Canon never offered them - Nikon did.

I don't care that I can buy 10 for $2 on eBay, or even grab an unused one for free from a guy at a local photo club - I didn't used to have to think about it.

I don't care that 99% of people who don't use them never have an issue with damage to their hot shoe - 100% who do use it can likely boast the same thing.

It's not about the plastic, it's about the message!!

When I unpacked my D750 the only things I removed from the box were the body (with body cap, that got thrown in a drawer) and the battery. The disk with an incredibly antiquated version of their editing software, user manuals in 2 languages, USB cable, strap, battery charger and that ridiculous eye-piece cover are still in box and will be there for all eternity most likely. I suspect this is the case with at least 1/2 of the folks buying the thing (though some may actually open the paper copy of the book in their language). If I actually want the software I'm more than likely going to have to download the latest version of it anyway (dollars to donuts the version on the CD/DVD doesn't support the D750), so why spend the money to produce and package a disc (that I actually cannot even insert into my Macintosh)?! If it's a money thing then there's so many less used things they could have omitted and didn't. I just find it extremely perplexing and wonder if it had more to do with the cost of the pair of hands necessary to insert it during assembly than the cost of the part - and if it was, put it in the damn bag with the eye piece cover. It's a single, seemingly arbitrary omission of one accessory in an otherwise unchanged DSLR package - but one that sells for over two-thousand dollars!!

If I didn't love their cameras so much I'd start thinking seriously about whether or not to invest another penny in their equipment because after fighting with them at the front of the D600, while simultaneously defending them for what others claimed was known negligence, losing access to a new camera for 2 of the first 5 months of ownership, I'm starting to believe that perhaps their detractors are right. When you start cutting corners it becomes hard to stop, and this $2 cut-corner speaks volumes to me. And that is what I'm pissed about. It's an extended middle finger from a company I support with my wallet, and have likely received and ignored in the past. But not any more. And because I love their cameras walking away quietly is not an option - hell, it's not an option in any avenue of my life. Too many people get pissed, hurt or offended by something and simply walk away without ever calling someone on it - as if saying something would be the greater offense. I've never done that, and won't start here. So I hope Nikon is listening. The dominoes are falling and we're all starting to notice. Some companies get away with polishing a turd and selling it as gold. I don't buy from them. But neither do I want to buy from a company that hides a diamond in a pile of dung. So stop f-cking up, Nikon. It doesn't suit you.

riskinstrument

It's not just the cost of the individual part. It's shipping cost, possibly insurance, and the cost of an employee to put the part on the camera. My guess is they cut costs by cutting employees and this was one of the steps they eliminated, so no flash shoe protector.
The big two are facing dropping sales and shrinking market, and odds are its going to get worse, I.e. Sony s in camera battery charging instead of including an external charger.
But, if as you say your brand loyal and this plastic piece is what's going to push you off, then you have a problem with perspective.
600 shutter, 800 sensor spots, 750's already going in for repair, your plastic shoe cover is a big nothing.
As much as I like my D3200, this may be my last nikon.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Well, my new Olympus EM 1 came with one :)

My Sony A7 came with one too. But, as always, welcome to corporate America...Sony doesn't include a battery charger, instead they give you a cord where you can sloooooowly charge it from the camera. Lucky for me, I bought a bundle and a charger was included. I don't think I would have kept the camera if I hadn't got the charger in the bundle. Corporate America sucks the big one when they should be doing everything they can to retain good customers.

Pretzel

My Sony A7 came with one too. But, as always, welcome to corporate America...Sony doesn't include a battery charger, instead they give you a cord where you can sloooooowly charge it from the camera. Lucky for me, I bought a bundle and a charger was included. I don't think I would have kept the camera if I hadn't got the charger in the bundle. Corporate America sucks the big one when they should be doing everything they can to retain good customers.

It's not just corporate America. Where do you think those Nikon and Sony products came from? It's corporate everybody. Skimp a bit on the service to save a couple of pennies. Same thing applied to my Kindle as well. The provided USB cord has to be used to charge the device, but there is no packaged charger. They're probably lucky I decided to buy one while there was a bundle offering the charger, or they never would have gotten my cash. Then you consider the Wii, Xbox and PS systems. TWO controllers?? Who wants to play with friends? And me, I'm old enough to remember when cars came with REAL SPARE TIRES... (ok, I'll quit ranting on that side of things)

Then, all of that saved money is WASTED on things that only serve to infuriate me more. WalMart - Spend the money to build 40 cash registers in every store, never staff more than 4 (sometimes 10 during the holiday season)... then when the lines are so long people quit shopping, build MORE registers (self-service stations) instead of hiring a few more folks.

Eventually, our children will be to the point where they are trained to expect less, and they'll all laugh at our "old fashioned ways", but ya know what? I'm going to RANT about the good old days, when the prizes in my Cracker Jacks were actually worth a smile and entertained me for more than 2 seconds.

BTW, if you can't tell, I stand with Jake on this one.

BackdoorArts

Who cares people...I will be buying a D750 plastic piece or not..Anyone want a mint D610 with 7k shutter actuations..PM me ;}

Did I ever say you shouldn't buy the camera? Did I ever say you shouldn't buy Nikon?

I know I write alot, but damn, if you're going to respond at least read what I said.

And if you'd rather have a new in box D610 with 0 actuations, PM me!! And want the damn piece I'll take $2 off your shipping. ;)

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Did I ever say you shouldn't buy the camera? Did I ever say you shouldn't buy Nikon?

I know I write alot, but damn, if you're going to respond at least read what I said.

And if you'd rather have a new in box D610 with 0 actuations, PM me!! And want the damn piece I'll take $2 off your shipping. ;)

Ha.. I was just voicing me getting one.. I could give a crap abt this bickering in here.. Hopefully I'm abt to sell it today.. Got a hit from a local that is interested.. Crossing my fingers...ps.. My D610 is broken in from shooting awesome pics...lol

Pretzel

Who cares people...I will be buying a D750 plastic piece or not..Anyone want a mint D610 with 7k shutter actuations..PM me ;}

Didn't say I didn't have one on the wish list, it's just the principle.

When I *DO* get into the position to go full frame, if I happen to sell one of the old bodies at the same time, I'll offer someone a $2.00 discount to keep what I've got. :)