D7200 the facts

J-see

Group is a nice addition but it's not something I would wait for.

I used to shoot grp a lot but use it less and less. I prefer either S or d9 instead. But that's for birding, elsewhere there might be more use for it.

Girevik

I've been in the market for a new camera for a while waiting on the D7200 announcement now that it's here, I've got some deciding to do. I've looked at the specs comparison, but to be honest I'm not sure what it all means. I'm assuming once the D7200 is out, the D7100 will drop to the $500 - $600 range where the 7000 has been, so I have to decide if the 7200 is worth the extra cost. So a few questions for the experts:

- I like the bigger buffer since I will be using it a lot for my kids' sports. Other than that, what are the real world differences between the two?
- Currently the D7100 is $1,200 retail but about $1,000 on Amazon. How long does it take for those deals to hit? How long before refurbs are available?
- Any opinions on what is the better camera for the money, D7100 or D7200?

mauckcg

I have not read anything that indicates the D7200 has Group Area AF.

Is this something you were holding out for?
No, I figured that would have made it down to the D7200 since it has been labeled as a "flagship"

Even if it has Group area AF it's not different enough from my D7100 to make it worth the jump.

Horoscope Fish

- I like the bigger buffer since I will be using it a lot for my kids' sports. Other than that, what are the real world differences between the two?
I would say the improved low-light auto-focus and broader ISO range. The D7200 has a native ISO range of 100-25600, which is 2EV higher than the ISO 100-6400 of the D7100. That, combined with the improved AF system, goes beyond the "nice to have" column, in my opinion... Those are some solid improvements.

- Currently the D7100 is $1,200 retail but about $1,000 on Amazon. How long does it take for those deals to hit? How long before refurbs are available?
No hard facts but I would expect to be waiting a few months *at least*.

- Any opinions on what is the better camera for the money, D7100 or D7200?
The '7200, in my opinion, corrects the one really glaring flaw in it's predecessor and that's the buffer issue. That really does cripple the D7100 in some respects. You can argue not everyone needs a deeper buffer, but the fact is with the D7100 being the "flagship" DX body, the buffer simply should not have been hobbled like it was. The improved ISO and AF system are not to be sneezed at either. As I see it, those are three pretty significant points in favor of the D7200. If I were in the market for a DX body I'd be swayed pretty hard by these upgrades. Still, the D7100 is an outstanding body; the D7200, as you would expect is just a BETTER body but I couldn't assign a specific dollar value to how much better it is.

Last edited:

J-see

Think nikon got this wrong,until they change it this page says the D7200 has a 36.3 mp sensor,unless thats a leak for the D400 :D

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D7200

Someone is a month early with their April fools I guess:

Cached version:

Untitled-1.jpg

Pretzel

I got an email alert from B&H this morning... ~$1200 for the body, and only $300 more for the 18-140 bundle.

d7200 | B&H Photo Video

It's nice, especially with a bigger buffer and expeed 4, but there's no temptation for me with the D7100 right now. I don't do a whole lot of burst scenarios outside of the 5-6 rapid fire shots I get now, but this listing says up to 100 frames, (DPreview says it's up to 27 frames shooting RAW) so... BIG difference right there! Built in Wi-Fi too, but that's to be expected these days.

Blacktop

I got an email alert from B&H this morning... ~$1200 for the body, and only $300 more for the 18-140 bundle.

d7200 | B&H Photo Video

It's nice, especially with a bigger buffer and expeed 4, but there's no temptation for me with the D7100 right now. I don't do a whole lot of burst scenarios outside of the 5-6 rapid fire shots I get now, but this listing says up to 100 frames, (DPreview says it's up to 27 frames shooting RAW) so... BIG difference right there! Built in Wi-Fi too, but that's to be expected these days.
Even if I was going from the D3100 right now, I would probably get a refurb 7100 and a refurb 18-140mm combo.

skater

A few improvements over the D7100, but not revolutionary, as Nikon said. Honestly, the most interesting feature to me is the lack of the anti-aliasing filter, which the D7100 had too. But I'll stick with the D7000. I definitely don't feel like I've hit the limits of that body.

Rob Bye

I think I'd already decided on a D750 as my next body; this makes the decision more certain. I like my D7100, but the D7200 isn't enough to keep me in the DX camp.

Rob Bye

I recently jumped from D7100 to D750 myself. My advice? DO IT. Do it now.

Shooting sports, I've been holding out for a proper D300 replacement. Since that is clearly never coming, it's time for me to give up on the DX format. Owning a Sigma 150-600mm makes the FX sensor quite workable.

I would commend Nikon for the D7200, but realistically it's the camera the D7100 should've been all along!