D7100 iq

Skwaz

Well I don't think I got a result with this thread
The flower shots were with two different lenses so can't blame the lens
I think I am expecting too much from in camera Raw , and the art us PP
Im gunna just use JPEG this weekend with in camera settings that I have seen on here

Horoscope Fish

I guess I'm a little unclear what result you were hoping for...

The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is a remarkably sharp lens. You should be able to get very, very sharp results using that lens on your D7100 but getting there will absolutely require shooting in RAW and performing good post processing on the resultant files.

If you're not willing to do that then yes, I strongly suggest you shoot JPG.

Deleted

Cheers sparky
do you know what the process was with that shot ie Raw ? What pp do you use ?
And do you feel as I do that the shots are not that special , then you pp and out they pop
I need to invest and learn a good pp . Lightroom 5 up for 8 quid a month any opinions on that ? But I really need to know I'm getting the best out of the 7100 but pp letting me down.

As others suggest, show in RAW for sure.

I went for the Lightroom/Photoshop offer from last month. Both are excellent products, but if you can only get Lightroom, go for it. Combined with RAW files, the results are excellent.

When I first started shooting with my D3100 and joined this forum I was told to only shoot RAW and was berated for shooting JPEG. It was not fully explained that shooting RAW requires post processing and you have to know what you are doing to get better results than if you just shoot JPEG with the camera set correctly.

Till you are ready just shoot RAW (to card 1) JPEG Fine (To card 2) that way you can get good results now and save the RAW for later when you decide to start doing PP. Best of both worlds for now.

Stoshowicz

Id like to underline a point or two,, your camera is capable of very sharp pix , your lens is also capable of very sharp pix , technique plays a big role , in the end product..
and much of that is just what you do when.
As photo-consumers , we are conditioned to seeing photos actually sharper than sharp,
sharper than your eye can actually render. If you held a bird in your hand , often you may not see as much detail as a photo of one taken at fifteen or thirty feet!
So.. sharpening procedures often are usually just enhancing the impression of sharpness ,, because the visual impact of a photos sharpness, has so much mental filtering involved.
Watching a moving series of images also has a degree of mental addition, if you freeze a clip , and look at an individual frame , it doesnt look near as good.

The 7100 also doesn't have an anti aliasing filter , which does an automatic smoothing of images in other cameras.. this changes the look of both sharpness and noise.

Everyone has their own systems for post processing I like usually two rounds of sharpening of moderate extent each.
upsizing, downsizing , compression etc. also affect the impression of sharpness, so from your posting here in compressed jpeg its hard to tell how the pic is on fine scale as well.

Lastly , an audience really cares more about content than the photographer may. They prefer to see the folks at the wedding having a good time ,rather than the roaches eating crumbs behind the stove,, or the grooms hair folicles. :)

Last edited:

Skwaz

Oky doky guys
going to a Mod weekend 200 scooters with Mods aboard
taking 7100 with 18-105 and 3100 with 35 mm
Question ?
should I do raw and JPEG in the two slots ?
what on the 3100 ?

Skwaz

Oky doky guys
Question ?
what on the 3100 ?
Edit that, can't make this weekend could have been a good day

Horoscope Fish

should I do raw and JPEG in the two slots? what on the 3100 ?
First, I would adjust the Sharpening setting in the Picture Control menus of both cameras to +6 for all the different settings (Landscape, Standard, Vivid, etc.)

Then, if you have decided you want to post process, I would suggest you shoot RAW + JPG (Large, Fine) with RAW files going to Slot 1 and JPG's going to slot 2 on the D7100. I would do the same on the D3100 but all files will have to go to the one card.

If you have decided you do not want to post process, I would suggest you do as above, but shoot only Large, Fine, JPG on both cameras. I'd use Slot 2 on the D7100 for Backup in this instance, personally.

fotojack

Oky doky guys
Question ?
what on the 3100 ?

If you have one, bring your speedlite with you if you're going to shoot at night outdoors. And put the 35 on the D7100 and the 18-105 on the D3100. :)