D7100 iq

Horoscope Fish

Ok guys can you do anything with these to tell me they are sharp and top IQ
all taken on tripod , single point focus using Liveview, ISO 100 ,aperture priority, Raw neutral with 2 sharpening
Focus point was the large flower all from about 10 feet
first three with 35mm 1.8
f5 1/320
f8 1/125
f11 1/60
second set of three with vr 18-105 vr off, the rest same as above lens set at 35mm
f5 1/250
f8 1/100
f11 1/80
If I get some answers I be gobsmacked Cheers
Your images look soft to me, across the board. You're shooting RAW, are you sharpening in post?

Skwaz

Thanx for the reply Fish
no I've done no pp at all just the 2 sharpening in camera which I think doesn't affect Raw anyway
Any suggestions why they are soft or , with Raw is it all about pp
Should I shoot some JPEG with in camera processing and see the results ?

I just feel I'm not getting the quality the 7100 should give me or as I said
is it all about pp , I always shoot raw but not got wiz bang pp progs

Horoscope Fish

Thanx for the reply Fish
no I've done no pp at all just the 2 sharpening in camera which I think doesn't affect Raw anyway

If you plan on shooting JPG primarily I would suggest you adjust the Sharpness setting to +6, or +7, in each of the Picture Control settings (Landscape, Vivid, Standard, etc.); that one adjustment should make a huge difference in the overall quality of your JPG images. My preference in the Picture Control menu, when shooting in JPG, is to use Standard with Saturation set to +1 and Sharpening set to +6. I also use the Landscape setting with no adjustment to Saturation but Sharpening set to +6. You could try those settings and see what you think. Again, that's if you want to shoot JPG.

If you have decided you want to shoot RAW primarily, then that means you have decided you want to post process. I say that because, simply put, RAW files require post processing; all of them all the time. It's just part and parcel of shooting in RAW and your understanding that Picture Control settings (like Sharpness) are not applied to RAW files is correct. Some software applications will work with some of the PC settings, but generally speaking I think it's best to simply assume PC settings will not be applied to a RAW file. So, yeah... If you're going to shoot RAW, you're going to need to invest in software that will allow you to post process. The 500 Pound Gorillas are, of course, Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. There are alternatives but in my opinion these two 500 Pound Gorillas happen to *be* 500 Pound Gorillas for very good reasons.

In order to get the very best out of your D7100, my experience has shown you are going to need very good glass (seriously good) and very good photographic technique. On top of that you are going to need to shoot RAW and you going to have to learn how to post process those RAW files.

Last edited:
Thanx for the reply Fish

The in-camera sharpening has not effect on RAW. If you don't want to do PostProcessing then stick to JPEG till you do want to do PP. If you do go with JPEG then make sure to shoot JPEG Fine / Large and bump the sharpening up to at least 6.

480sparky

Sprarkys shot if the bird us stunning at 100%
i don't think I have a shot yet anywhere near that

Heres the (downsized) original:

Dickthistle0599post.jpg

Skwaz

Cheers sparky
do you know what the process was with that shot ie Raw ? What pp do you use ?
And do you feel as I do that the shots are not that special , then you pp and out they pop
I need to invest and learn a good pp . Lightroom 5 up for 8 quid a month any opinions on that ? But I really need to know I'm getting the best out of the 7100 but pp letting me down.

480sparky

This was a simple PP. Adjust levels, slight S in the curve, bump up shadow protection to bring out the shadows, lightened the eye a bit, sharpen and crop. 15 seconds max.

Skwaz

Thanx
Seems like learning the camera functions is the easy bit , I think I'm ok on that score ,
but at the moment I use the nikon view software which I don't find to be that good and a
free prog called Faststone that is probably no better
Need to look at upgrading PC and getting some decent PP gear if I want to progress
Another quick one, would using JPEG fine with in camera processing give better results
than shooting Raw and using inferior PP package .

Thanx
Seems like learning the camera functions is the easy bit , I think I'm ok on that score ,
but at the moment I use the nikon view software which I don't find to be that good and a
Need to look at upgrading PC and getting some decent PP gear if I want to progress
Another quick one, would using JPEG fine with in camera processing give better results

I think it would. I occasionally shot something like a ball game and don't want to go to the trouble of pp so I shoot raw plus JPEG fine and just post them. I will get a link to the most recent ones I did that way. Also the shots were den at ISO 6400 and above so take that into account when looking at them

480sparky

Thanx

Shoot raw now anyway. So when you get some good software, your raw data will be there waiting to be unleashed.

MAke sure you set it to RAW +JPEG Fine. You can also set it to record the RAW on card 1 and the JPEG on Card 2 so it will be easier to download them to your computer.

Here is a link to my Prattville Football album on Facebook. Remember these were shot on ISO 6400 and higher to get enough speed to stop action with the D7100 with 70-300 Zoom

All JPEG with no post processing. Straight upload to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/dkuykendall/media_set?set=a.10205113809793453&type=3

For the Pro Football fans the first three photos of are Roman Harper's father. He is one of the coaches of our high school team. Roman Harper is from Prattville.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

You can do a fair amount of post processing on a JPG but there's really no comparison between what you can do with a JPG and what you can do with a RAW file; simply no contest.

In my opinion, post processing software is just another essential piece of equipment in this hobby; no different than, say, a tripod or a normal lens.

J-see

I need to invest and learn a good pp . Lightroom 5 up for 8 quid a month any opinions on that ?

I'm using LR5 and it's fantastic. I still do some other rework in an old Photoshop but LR does most.

I bought the program because I see no logic in paying each month for something I will never own.

Skwaz

View attachment 114887I I don't imagine getting much sharper shots than this , just I but of saturation slider and contrast in Faststone no sharpening or anything fancy . Hand held with 18-105 vr on in Raw , so why are the shots earlier with tripod with Liveview focus using wireless trigger Soft ? .?

Horoscope Fish

I don't imagine getting much sharper shots than this, just I but of saturation slider and contrast in Faststone no sharpening or anything fancy. Hand held with 18-105 vr on in Raw, so why are the shots earlier with tripod with Liveview focus using wireless trigger Soft?
Impossible to say, really. Could be the lens that was used, could be the lens has back/front focus problem, could be the light... Could be a million things. Photography is an art, not a science.

All that being said, I don't use Liveview for focus. Ever.