D5100 vs D7000

WhiteLight

is it advisable to pick up the body only or go for the 18-105mm pack?
the additional cost is around the actual cost of the lens anyway.. would like to know if it a good lens or just a starter like how the 18-55 is for the 5100?

Bumping to check if anyone has any thoughts on this? ^^^

AC016

Bumping to check if anyone has any thoughts on this? ^^^

I think the terminology "kit" or "starter" lens is something that needs to be taken out of the industry. Any lens bundled with a camera is a "kit lens", "kit" refering to the fact that it is a camera and a lens; therefore, ready to use. But yes, they are usually Nikons entry level lenses. There is nothing wrong with them and serve their purpose, which is to take good quality photos. Are there better lenses? Of course there is. If you want to pay a bit more, get the 18-200 VRII.

stmv

I am a lens collector, and love my primes, and classic pro zooms, but,, let me say that I am quite impressed with the latest generation kit lens like the 18-55 VRII, and use the lens all the time on my D7000. Do the Primes improve,, sure, but it has been my experience that bad technique will ruin a picture way before the gain of the better lens is realized.

AntrimHills

I went for the D7000 in the end, for the simple reason it'll probably be the only camera I'll have for quite a while, and I wanted a high-spec consumer product (because I really didnt need the build quality of a D300 or D700). I did consider the D5100 for a while, but the D90 was a better choice for me if I hadn't went for the D7000.

Ultimately, it's like Marcel, among others, has said time and again in different posts - pick the camera that suits you! And as for the lens, well... I read up more blogs, and posts, and opinions and whatever trying to decide whether to go for a cheaper d90 and 16-85 lens, or a D7000 and a 18-105 lens. In the end I picked the 18-105; not because it was cheaper, but simply because Ill probably only ever own one other lens, a bright portrait one, and that's all I'll ever need. Pick what you need, not what you think you need.

Rick M

The nice thing about kit lenses is they give you a starter range to learn from before investing allot in glass. I learned allot from my 18-55 which came with my D3100. Some folks decide they want more reach, I decided I liked the wide end so I went for a 16-85 next.

Dooku77

I chose the D7000 for its dual SD card slots,sturdier build, advanced features and the wider selection of lenses (auto focus screw).

RLF

PLEASE HELP

Guys, I need some help. I have a d5100 I enjoy - I've had it for about a year - and I think I'm kind of outgrowing it. I'm thinking of upgrading to a d7000, because of its ... yeah, sturdier build and stuff, but especially its high speed synch capability (Auto FP sync?) and its CLS commander function. I also look forward to a wider choice of lenses.

QUESTION: Would you recommend upgrading to the d7000? Or should I make an effort and go full frame (which would probably be a lot more expensive)?

Does anybody have any thoughts? PLEASE give me your opinion.
I've been studying photography at an institute for the past year and enjoy portrait and event photography, and hope to do some fashion and creative shoots. I am not a pro and probably never will be, but that hasn't held me back yet!

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
The D7000 is so similar to the D5100 that you may not be getting your money's worth out of the upgrade. I would strongly suggest you take a hard look at the D600. It is a real step up from the D5100, has the newer sensor (D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor) and is utilizing the newer EXPEED-3 processor that is a big step up from the EXPEED-2 and a huge step up from the EXPEED-1.

RLF

Thank you, Mojo Dave. Would you recommend the d600 vs the d800? It seems the price difference isn't that great. If I do go full frame, I figure I'll be spending somewhere near $5000, does that sound right?

Dave_W

The Dude
I would whole heartedly recommend the D800, it's an amazing camera and has won more awards than any other camera made. I suggested the D600 since that would be the next bump up in the pro-sumer category but if you're open to a professional level camera then the D800 can't be beat.

TedG954

I don't believe trading your 5100 for a 7000 would be an "upgrade". The 7000 is a fine camera, but I would consider an upgrade from the D5100 to be moving to the FX format.

silvercreek

The biggest difference for me was the price. I don’t think Iwould appreciate the differences between the 5100 and the 7000.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I am somewhat in agreement with Silvercreek. Being "new" to dslr, I did not think that I would appreciate the "extras" of the 7000 for the money difference, at least for a couple years... By then, I may want something even more!! :)

Pat in NH

RLF

Silvercreek, RockyNH, the specific feature of the d7000 that might make the difference is its ability to hyper sync ("AF auto sync" I think its called) and command CLS. Has anybody tried the SU-800 on a d5100? Would this allow me to do this?

CameraTester

I wonder if there will be a D7100 and if it will have a flip out screen. That would be the selling point for me. I almost want to upgrade my D5100 for the D7000 anyways. My friend has it.