cbay's 2015 Journey Along

cbay

I'm going to post this in the favorite February shot thread as well. This cute little bugger is my favorite recently.
DSC_1235_01.jpg

cbay

Still trying to get some stunning sunrise/cloudscapes. If they happened everyday they wouldn't be appreciated as much. No luck this morning either but figured i might as well take some and work on composition and depth of field. Me and the dof calculator are having an argument right now. It says just a few feet in front of me and i'm good to infinity, but my results show i need a good 20+ feet!! And the online calculator says it adjusts for my particular camera, Hmmm.
Anyway, not to self: go by results and bring a bucket. The bucket is so i can splash water on the rocks for a better look. My coffee cup in 30 degree weather just doesn't cut it. :eek:
One of the better pics from this morning
DSC_1291.jpg

cbay

Wanted to share a couple from yesterday morning. Went out at daylight to this spot every morning of this week and finally caught a break.
DSC_1454.jpg

DSC_1460-2.jpg

cbay

Been reading and learning about lightroom and playing with my free trial..... I'm sold. Just going to wait until the new version comes out next month. Hopefully i won't lose my work.
Found some really good tutorials that weren't video and they blew me away with what this program does. One was by the creator on using local adjustments. A very good article which gave me the confidence to jump right in and try my hand at working with the sky, tree line, and foreground separately. Feel like a kid in a candy store with these tools now.
This is my first saved image using those local adjustments.
DSC_1759-2.jpg

cbay

Out on the water with Dad and bubby taking it all in. Crappie season is almost here - along with mushroom season. Going to get crazy around these parts pretty soon. 50 degree nights and the mushrooms should start popping. My legs are tired just thinking about it. :D

20150321-DSC_1910.jpg

Backyard mama checking things out. She's looking a little worse for wear but totally normal this time of year. All the ladies got fat bellies and the fawns came through in good health this winter. We are definitely at a high population in the area so i hope we have a good year in terms of moisture for browse.

20150320-DSC_1804-2.jpg

Backyard turkey like a little corn too. Got a couple Tom pics but holding out for some better shots.

20150320-DSC_1783.jpg

Love shooting sunset here. Can't resist sharing sunsets. Need to go scout out some new spots around the lake this year.

.DSC_1735.jpg

This is behind me in the same spot as above sunset. Haven't counted but there are quite a few bridges across the lake. The closest one to this bridge is almost within sight in this picture (on right). That makes the upper bridge a no go for a sunset unless i want this bridge in the picture as well. Might try that out anyway just to see. Sometimes my better shots happen when i don't see them at the time.

DSC_1479.jpg

cbay

Beautiful evening to get some bird time. Been hoping to get the red bellied woodpeckers to show up on the deck. I happened to be there and ready at just the right time tonight and got rewarded with some images of this beautiful bird.

20150401-4-1 birds-2545.jpg

20150401-4-1 birds-2549.jpg

cbay

The redbuds are giving some nice color in the yard.

last one 2-19.jpg

Going on the water today crappie fishing and bringing the big gun in hopes of trying some birds in flight. Never had the lens out of the yard or handheld so it should be interesting. Hard to believe these modern cameras are capable of locking focus as well as they do, but i bet there is plenty of learning curve involved.

cbay

You do any small mouth fishing? There colors are beautiful.

We used to do a lot of small mouth fishing in Minnesota and Canada, and have caught a few here on Stockton, but we live on a creek arm where they do not habitate. Several miles up the lake they can be caught (got a 4 lb years ago), but we don't get up there enough. Maybe some later this year. The state record was caught here at over 7lbs.