Can I attach an old nikon 200mm macro lens?

Eye-level

Banned
See the red dot...put that at about the 1:30 position on your camera body and she should twist on...be gentle...

Make sure that aperture device the little toggle lever or whatever coming out of the back of the lens moves free and moves the aperture blades free.

Eob

image.jpg

Eob

The lens looks clean and scratch free. The only part that I was worried about is the little metal part that juts out on the mount. Kinda looks bent to me.

Dave_W

The Dude
Unless you're dead set on using this lens, I would advise you to buy a lens that will auto-focus on your camera and forget about this one. Chances are good that even the cheapest kit lens will perform significantly better than this lens.

Eob

See the red dot...put that at about the 1:30 position on your camera body and she should twist on...be gentle...

Make sure that aperture device the little toggle lever or whatever coming out of the back of the lens moves free and moves the aperture blades free.
I tried it again, lining up the dots, and it seems like the metal rings on the lens and body are a mismatch. One is slightly larger than the other

Eob

Unless you're dead set on using this lens, I would advise you to buy a lens that will auto-focus on your camera and forget about this one. Chances are good that even the cheapest kit lens will perform significantly better than this lens.

my camera came with a kit lens. I was told that this was a really expensive lens, is it really garbage? It was the whole reason I bought the d3100. I can't afford to buy any more lenses. Seems like they're all at least $400.

Eye-level

Banned
The lens looks clean and scratch free. The only part that I was worried about is the little metal part that juts out on the mount. Kinda looks bent to me.

Does it move the aperture blades...look through the lens and wiggle that lever...lol

I would just put the lens in the junk pile...it is basically worthless and not worth screwing up your 3100 with...sorry. :)

The FM is the real treasure. Probably needs to be blown out real good and new seals installed. The M stands for mechanical. No batteries required. Only the meter needs them.

Eob

On the lens, next to the exterior glass. If you do have a filter, try removing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If tried twisting the filter off to no avail. I can read what it says around the lip though...

AUTO PROMASTER SP MC ZOOM 1:4:5 f=80-200mm NO. 109344 052

Eob

My aunt gave me the old camera and lens. I think it had been sitting in her garage in California for a long time. I haven't used anything but digital point and shoots since high school, and I was frustrated not having the instant result of seeing the picture on the screen. I learned on a manual camera, and developed my own pictures. I seem to have forgotten how to use manual settings. My trial and error method was getting expensive, buying film, developing/ printing, etc. I've been wanting to get back into photography, and try a dslr. I picked out the d3100 after reading that it would work with this old lens, and was supposed to be a good entry level dslr. I just signed up for a photography class in March.

Eye-level

Banned
Just a generic lens. Probably came from Sears. Well made though isn't it? Made in Japan anywhere on it?

I have a ton of these for Konicas, Minoltas, Mamiyas, etc. MC's and others.

That FM is worth some money if she is tuned up.

Eob

That's very nice of you to offer. I have pro photographer friends that have been offering me things to borrow, but I'd be too paranoid about getting it stolen or breaking it. I could spend some money on lenses after I get more comfortable with the kit lens, and take some classes. What would you recommend?

Rick M

Promaster is kind of a sub-3rd party reseller, some accessories are actually pretty good and made by the major brands (some of their filters are Hoya) and some stuff is just junk. As far as lenses, I doubt they are of much value.

Eob

Just a generic lens. Probably came from Sears. Well made though isn't it? Made in Japan anywhere on it?

I have a ton of these for Konicas, Minoltas, Mamiyas, etc. MC's and others.

That FM is worth some money if she is tuned up.
Yep, made in Japan