BlackRapid strap clones - Focus & Fotasy

JohnFrench

I just ordered the BR clone - (F1) on Amazon Prime for Friday delivery. I'll use it this weekend and report back .
I already have another clone, but found it too short in the strap which locates the camera under my arm somewhat. And the attachment method was also with the tripod hole, but the screw knob is cheapo plastic, cheap looking enough to the point where I said nope, not gonna trust that. The steel was of good quality with a powder coat type finish and a lined hole for the swivel snap which was seemingly good quality as well. So the short strap length and cheap plastic retaining knob are the downfalls. One other thing that bugged me too was the strap material, not woven nylon but a probable woven poly product that is very rough and cheap looking/feeling. I guess if I had access to an industrial sewing machine, some nice flat woven tubular nylon strapping material and quality hardware, I'd make my own.

Geoffc

So we wander round with a $4000+ camera and body then worry about saving $50 to keep it safe? It just doesn't make sense. Would you use a plastic shopping bag to carry it around in the rain or a nice purpose built padded bag?

As for copying them, that's simply theft. If you don't like a product because of its price don't buy it, but buying a blatant copy is condoning theft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cowleystjames

Somewhere, I've seen reports of the carabiner breaking on these cheap copies also. So once again, you may think you're getting a deal but unless your camera is made of rubber, you're really playing Russian roulette

photogramps

I've used Q-Straps for several years now and have had no problems at all.
I've used them with a D4/70-200, D800/24-120 and D800/150-600 and they have been totally fault free.
I guess it's like all things man-made, there can be problems from time to time ... which reminds me I must chase up my D4 that is still with Nikon being repaired! :drunk:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I actually just received the Fotasy strap pictured in the first post. Rainbow imaging seems to be the only ones selling under the Fotasy brand through Amazon and eBay. It seems like it's very high quality. Will post pics soon.

photogramps

From what I see, the L plate mounts to the same tripod socket as the BR fastener. What are the benefits?

For me it gives a more secure footing as the connection is braced against a large part of the camera base rather than just being secured by the screw alone ... and it also prevents the risk of the carabaner (?) rubbing the camera body, which I have experienced with the standard foot which comes with all of these straps.

Krs_2007

From what I see, the L plate mounts to the same tripod socket as the BR fastener. What are the benefits?

Outside of what has been mentioned the kirk l-plate and it has the arca swiss mounts on it so I can can just slide into my monopod or tripod. Only beneficial if you use the arca swiss type plates.

SkvLTD

Outside of what has been mentioned the kirk l-plate and it has the arca swiss mounts on it so I can can just slide into my monopod or tripod. Only beneficial if you use the arca swiss type plates.

That's actually something I could use as well.

Vixen

You could just use a key chain ring and not even use tripod attachment in that case.

I did this yesterday as a temporary strap. Split keyring in one of the side strap lugs and then used a clip on strap from a luggage bag for the strap. Still had the neckstrap attached. I had my Tamzooka on and worry about the weight of it swinging around on my hip so I also carried the lens case over my shoulder and when not using it stuck the lens & camera in the lens case so has 2 straps holding the weight in effect. This was also handy as I was on a boat and needed to free up my hands to walk around at times :D

dh photography

I've had my Fotasy strap for about a week now, and am so far very pleased. The build quality seems to be much higher than I expected (I examined the stitching very closely and expected to have to strengthen it myself). I have used both the tripod mount attachment and small heavy ring at the neck strap mount. Both worked very well. I'd still be more comfortable with the tripod mount for any serious walk about use. Give it an A so far.