Another So-Called Professional Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman122

dude, why the hell didnt the MIL she ask you to do the shoot? that I think is wrong and disrespectful. I think the least she should have done is asked if you and the other photog can get together and do the shoot the both of you. you have fabulous gear and two photogs working together could see each others flaws and at least bring it up. like why didnt she bring the flash, like shes using a 100mm lens. so you can both get good pics for the family. was the shot outdoors? in the shade, partial shade, in full light, backlit?

and wTH wsnt your flash in your camera bag man..you could have saved the day. this has now taught me a lesson and im ordering some flash sync cords for canon sony bodies so if it happens that I need to use a flash with a different body I can connect the body to the flash pc port and use it in manual. $4. so no big deal. good to have in the bag.

wud

? I don't use flash. Looking at the shots at the portrait section, sonic used ISO 500 for most shots..

rocketman122

? I don't use flash. Looking at the shots at the portrait section, sonic used ISO 500 for most shots..

I dont use flash sometimes as well. sometimes you do need it and it really kills the harsh shadows. no flash for men adds masculinity and character. for women you need smooth even lighting.
Iso 500 is nothing. I shoot family formals at iso 3200 at times. better to get a nice ambient with flash mixed shot then a flash and dead black background. it looks night and day. people are so scared to raise the iso of FF cameras. ill take grain and ambient and faster shutter over constrained specs and limited exposure anyday. overexpose by a third, use good glass and youre fine.

dance floor im shooting iso 8000 with an on camera flash the whole night. nice ambient with flash mixed. nice colors mixed in from the dance floor. the flash hits their faces and neutralizes the color cast from the lights and all around are different colors. looks amazing. D3s native is 12800.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Why the hell is everyone breaking Sonic's balls? Does he not have a right to start a thread about some shitty so called pro?
I have seen lots of other threads that are a hellava lot more "idiotic" (@wud that was uncalled for) and no one was pointing it out.
Now all of a sudden it's dump on Sonic because he dared to question a so called pro and the way she shoots.

Some of you seriously need to get off your high horses and look over your own past postings, and images.:mad:

rocketman122

Why the hell is everyone breaking Sonic's balls? Does he not have a right to start a thread about some shitty so called pro?
I have seen lots of other threads that are a hellava lot more "idiotic" (@wud that was uncalled for) and no one was pointing it out.
Now all of a sudden it's dump on Sonic because he dared to question a so called pro and the way she shoots.

Some of you seriously need to get off your high horses and look over your own past postings, and images.:mad:

you are right. we all are getting too flustered over this. lets cool down. look at me telling people to cool down huh. lets wait for the pics and then we can all decide.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

POP UP FLASH? Wait, I'm not going there... too much pee on the fence already.

*ahem*

I just wanna see the photos. Proof's in th' puddin', so they say.

*coff coff*

Didn't I say she was shooting with a pop up flash AND she was using a 105 mm lens? Kind of far back to use a pop up, don't you think?

Horoscope Fish

I just wandered back into this thread and while I'm not pointing fingers or naming names, I am officially donning my "Moderator" hat and letting it be known some of the posts in this thread have been a little edge-y. We're all entitled to express our opinion's, but not at the expense of civility.

Thank you.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@rocketman122.....it was shot totally in the shade with the exception of one SIL and her husband wanting one in the sun by a shed for decorative effect. Why MIL dfidn't ask me is she probably didn't know I was capable of shooting the group. I just bought my equipment this year, so as I say, I'm still learning.
@Blacktop....thanks for the support.

wud

Well, I do occasionally look at my own stuff and I don't think I am good photographer at all - and that's my point. Don't get up on a high horse in the first place, because there are always SO many better than you (you as in everyone).

Yes I used a specific word, but I get so angry when stumbling across threads only made to talk bad about someone (who btw can't even defend themselves as they won't ever see the thread).

Sent from Tapatalk

sonicbuffalo_RIP

okay.....truce everyone. I'm about to shut up but before I do: My MIL told my wife when I volunteered to shoot the images that she already had my bil's gf to shoot it, but that I was welcome to shoot too. My SIL (one of them), asked me when Ir got to the shoot 'didn't I know that xxxx was going to be shooting the pictures?'. My wife had to explain to her as I unpacked my gear that I was also goijng to be shooting. When xxxx got there, she unpacked her gear and started cleaning lenses. The SIL that kind of rudely asked me if I 'knew' xxxx was going to shoot was the first one to my MIL's house the next day bringing a flash drive so she could 'get' my images. I had barely had enough time to put them into Lightroom, so I played nice and gave her my unedited shots. I would have never done that if she wasn't family.

During the shoot, xxxxx was pretty cool and didn't seem to mind me taking shots. The only problem I had was that she got everybodies attention, and I was left with shots where they were looking at her instead of at me. It helps some, but at the same time, I wanted some with their (families) full attention. I got very little of that. She did mention dof a few times, and I told her I was shooting mostly at 2.8. She mumbled something about moving it up before she shot with my camera, so I asked her if 3.5 would be ok? She said yes. I asked her if she wanted me to bump up the ISO more, and she said it was fine. All in all, we got along fine....but I wished I could have shot more with the families attention looking at me.

As for why xxxx got the gig? Simply because she SAID she was a professional photographer. No lie. That's the only words my MIL kept saying to me over and over. I didn't say I was a pro. She wouldn't think I was capable of that I'm sure. I've been married to my wife for 36 years, but my MIL still sees me as the guy who stole her daughter away to North Carolina.

Last edited:

rocketman122

@rocketman122.....it was shot totally in the shade with the exception of one SIL and her husband wanting one in the sun by a shed for decorative effect. Why MIL dfidn't ask me is she probably didn't know I was capable of shooting the group. I just bought my equipment this year, so as I say, I'm still learning.
@Blacktop....thanks for the support.

flash not so needed in the shade really. Next time, dont ask anyone. screw them all. come out there with both cameras and those big ass glass mounted with a big smirk and say "who wants a picture, raise ur hand!"

thats it, be done with it. trust me, everyone gets intimidated by big gear. they see those 70-200 2.8 lenses and say "this guy is a pro for sure" hahaha.

rocketman122

okay.....truce everyone. I'm about to shut up but before I do: My MIL told my wife when I volunteered to shoot the images that she already had my bil's gf to shoot it, but that I was welcome to shoot too. My SIL (one of them), asked me when Ir got to the shoot 'didn't I know that xxxx was going to be shooting the pictures?'. My wife had to explain to her as I unpacked my gear that I was also goijng to be shooting. When xxxx got there, she unpacked her gear and started cleaning lenses. The SIL that kind of rudely asked me if I 'knew' xxxx was going to shoot was the first one to my MIL's house the next day bringing a flash drive so she could 'get' my images. I had barely had enough time to put them into Lightroom, so I played nice and gave her my unedited shots. I would have never done that if she wasn't family.

During the shoot, xxxxx was pretty cool and didn't seem to mind me taking shots. The only problem I had was that she got everybodies attention, and I was left with shots where they were looking at her instead of at me. It helps some, but at the same time, I wanted some with their (families) full attention. I got very little of that. She did mention dof a few times, and I told her I was shooting mostly at 2.8. She mumbled something about moving it up before she shot with my camera, so I asked her if 3.5 would be ok? She said yes. I asked her if she wanted me to bump up the ISO more, and she said it was fine. All in all, we got along fine....but I wished I could have shot more with the families attention looking at me.

As for why xxxx got the gig? Simply because she SAID she was a professional photographer. No lie. That's the only words my MIL kept saying to me over and over. I didn't say I was a pro. She wouldn't think I was capable of that I'm sure. I've been married to my wife for 36 years, but my MIL still sees me as the guy who stole her daughter away to North Carolina.

1-dude whats the problem. you didnt have to shoot straight on and the same angle as her. heres a tip. take the 70-200, go far back, get them from a 45º angle from either side of them standing together. half body or even full body from far away (5.6-8 is good) convert to BW and bam. a different look and different feel. not every picture has to be straight on and eyes to the camera you know.

2-never shoot family/ multiple people at 2.8. the minimum I shoot is f/4. usually f/4.5. which is the perfect mix of short DOF and sharpness. f/5-5.6 if there are one behind the other. iso, you could have shot at iso 1000 EASILY without grain or loss of detail.

in this picture im showing you a 20º but you get my point.
family.JPG
im being a hypocrite by telling you dont shoot below f/4 and here im doing it. but do as I say, not as I do hahaha

Englischdude

i have read through this post with interest, one point seems to be completely missing here which I would like to add. I have only been shooting in raw actually for about 6 months or so, before that I was shooting in Jpeg which:

1. encouraged me to try to get as much right in the camera and scene as possible BEFORE shooting
2. taught me to make minor adjustments during shooting to get as close as I could to the desired results

and 3...

POST TWEAKING!

Has everyone forgotten that it is also possible to post process a Jpeg? Sophisticated tools like photoshop can manipulate many aspects of an image just as well as LR can. Granted you dont have all the data available as you would in a raw image but hey, I dont blow up my pics to print on the side of a building. If only minor tweaking is required this can be done with minimal image quality loss in PS with a Jpeg!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

During the shoot, xxxxx was pretty cool and didn't seem to mind me taking shots. The only problem I had was that she got everybody's attention, and I was left with shots where they were looking at her instead of at me. It helps some, but at the same time, I wanted some with their (families) full attention. I got very little of that. She did mention dof a few times, and I told her I was shooting mostly at 2.8. She mumbled something about moving it up before she shot with my camera, so I asked her if 3.5 would be ok? She said yes. I asked her if she wanted me to bump up the ISO more, and she said it was fine. All in all, we got along fine....but I wished I could have shot more with the families attention looking at me.

Well, from the description of how she got everyone's attention, this is how I would have handled it if I had been hired to do the shoot.
How would you feel if someone hired you to do a shooting and someone else tagged along and kept asking you about f-stop settings and tried to steal attention from the group?

You seem to be holding grudge against her because she did try to do HER job as best as she could all the time while dealing with you. Professional photographers are possessive too when it comes to protecting their jobs. I remember when I was doing weddings that it was always made VERY clear between me and the grooms that I was the one in charge of pictures and they should be listening to me for directions, not to everyone around. In some cases, I even took them by themselves without anyone around to be able to do my job properly without interruption.

I just wish you could try to put yourself in her shoes and think about how YOU would have reacted.

Seems to be there is more going on between you and the family that is still bugging you... Maybe?

Browncoat

This is one of the reasons I love you guys. Everyone is always so considerate of the other guy's feelings. Well, almost everyone. It should be pretty obvious by now what this thread is really about. I mean, it's been obvious since page one, but it doesn't seem that anyone is willing to meet it head on and call a duck a duck.

It's okay to be butthurt. Happens to the best of us. There's definitely some family in-fighting going on here, and that's pretty common, too. But let's not drag this out any further. This thread has gone 8 pages deep now and it's about as silly as a bunch of kids spreading cooties on a playground.

Marcel is right. Lots of others are right. This was her gig. She was running the show. It doesn't matter if you like her, if she sucks, or if she was hired by your nephew's cousin's brother-in-law's next door neighbor...or what the hell ever. My only hope is that all the ranting has taken place here on the internet where no one really gives a damn, as opposed to venting all of this in front of your family. Guaranteed no one will ask you to take photos in the future if that's the case.

Take your lumps, go sulk in the corner for awhile, and get over it. The rest of us are just sitting here hitting the refresh button observing this train wreck.

Horoscope Fish

This is one of the reasons I love you guys. Everyone is always so considerate of the other guy's feelings. Well, almost everyone. It should be pretty obvious by now what this thread is really about. I mean, it's been obvious since page one, but it doesn't seem that anyone is willing to meet it head on and call a duck a duck.

It's okay to be butthurt. Happens to the best of us. There's definitely some family in-fighting going on here, and that's pretty common, too. But let's not drag this out any further. This thread has gone 8 pages deep now and it's about as silly as a bunch of kids spreading cooties on a playground.

Marcel is right. Lots of others are right. This was her gig. She was running the show. It doesn't matter if you like her, if she sucks, or if she was hired by your nephew's cousin's brother-in-law's next door neighbor...or what the hell ever. My only hope is that all the ranting has taken place here on the internet where no one really gives a damn, as opposed to venting all of this in front of your family. Guaranteed no one will ask you to take photos in the future if that's the case.

Take your lumps, go sulk in the corner for awhile, and get over it. The rest of us are just sitting here hitting the refresh button observing this train wreck.
Wait a minute...

*grabs your lapels*

Are you ACTUALLY attempting to downplay the significance of Cooties??

co2jae

This thread was the most fun I've had at this site in a while. Everytime I got to the bottom of the page there was another one added on......fast and furious topic. Now can we all be friends and go get some ice cream (leave your gear in the car, no need for posturing in the ice cream line). BTW has anyone seen my soapbox or high horse around here? When I find it I'll join in with more relavent content.

Status
Not open for further replies.