Z6ii arrived!

Clovishound

I just plug my camera into my PC with a USB C cord. Then I drag and drop files. No need for any transfer software, and much easier than pulling the card and plugging into a card reader.

I assume your Mac will recognize the camera without having to have transfer software.

desmobob

It's a double bummer! First I tried my old ViewNX and its Transfer2 does not work for the new camera. Then I tried Wi-Fi connection. For that I need Wireless Transmitter Utility software from Nikon. Again, it doesn't work with my old OSX! Last way to go: card reader.

I have the same issue with my iPod Touch not being compatible with the newer iOS required to use the Nikon software (I don't have a mobile phone and had hoped to use my iPod for some remote functions).

The Nikon Transfer 2 issue is puzzling though... I use it (Version 2.15.0) successfully with my Z 7II and love the convenience features it offers vs. dragging/dropping. The software section of NikonUSA's website doesn't list the Z camera models as compatible though. Maybe also having the Nikon's NX Studio on my MacBook makes Transfer 2 able to work with my Z 7II?

Clovishound

Ah-Ha! Since it's so ugly to my eyes and looks fixed to the body, I never thought about key-chain stuff... now knowing they can be removed, I still decide to keep them hanging there for two reasons: removing them probably either hurt my fingers or damage/scratch the body due to the tough job; and if maybe, in case, I need to wear strap at some point, it will be cursing time again. So now I'll do my best to ignore their existence for good. :) (but thank you for letting me know)

Well, I looked hard at my Z5 and then got out the old non working Pentax. With the exception of the plastic guards, which come off very easily, the two appear to be identical. Just rotate the ring around to where the split is just in front of the bore through the stud on the camera. Then slip the blade of a thin screwdriver between the halves to spread the ring. Then push the opening onto the stub. Remove the screwdriver, and then rotate the ring around until it is free. It's a bit of a pain, but it's actually pretty easy to do without damaging either the ring or the camera.

_DAB2260.jpg

_DAB2263.jpg

blackstar

Image download/transfer issue solved! I use the USB cable that came with to connect z6ii and my old Mac. Photos.app opens and shows all images on the card. I can import any or all files with or without deleting them afterward. Then I can transfer the imported files to anywhere I want. This sounds like Clovishound's way of doing it. I got this too late after ordering a $40 reader. :(

blackstar

And you thought you could just get a new camera.:) No! In addition to the new computer and larger screen you will also need a larger house. :) Plus a higher paying job to pay for it all. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I can... I got the old Photos.app to do the job. My large screen shows all faults of my photo images already, no better bigger display is needed. A larger house for me would just give me more chores... and my current job (leisure photography) after retirement pays me a bundle of pleasure... BTW Needa, your weekly challenge entry is fantastic! I must pass for this one to prevent embarrassing myself. GL

Needa

Challenge Team
Yeah, I think I can... I got the old Photos.app to do the job. My large screen shows all faults of my photo images already, no better bigger display is needed. A larger house for me would just give me more chores... and my current job (leisure photography) after retirement pays me a bundle of pleasure...
Just razing you. Glad you got it sorted.

BTW Needa, your weekly challenge entry is fantastic!
Thanks for saying.

I must pass for this one to prevent embarrassing myself. GL
I'm sure that would not be the case. For me the challenges are more about ideas than competition.

blackstar

Just wonder why z6ii has a lock button on the Mode dial? It's very clumsy to change modes in the way that you need to hold the lock button and turn the dial at the same time. Currently, I have difficulty changing modes without using two hands... Is there any way to release the function of the lock button?

Camera Fun

Just wonder why z6ii has a lock button on the Mode dial? It's very clumsy to change modes in the way that you need to hold the lock button and turn the dial at the same time. Currently, I have difficulty changing modes without using two hands... Is there any way to release the function of the lock button?

I usually push the button down with my index finger and rotate the dial with my thumb and second finger. Don't know of any way to bypass the lock feature.

Danno

I am glad to see you have your new Z6II. it is quite a bit different than your D3500. It is funny to hear you don't like the clips for your strap. I like it because they are just a bit easier to connect my Peak Design strap clips too. As for the mode lock. You get use to that fairly quickly, and it is pretty easy to do it with one hand after a bit. It is better than it being unlocked and it moving by fat fingers in the middle of a shoot... but that just may be me.

I do not know if you have done it or not but I would recommend getting a handbook on the Z6II. I like David Busch's books. They are really good and he not only take you through the menu's he recommends best settings. It was really helpful. When I moved from the D3200 to the D7200 it helped me a lot to have one of David's books. Here is an Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs...61203416&sprefix=z6ii+handbook,aps,215&sr=8-4

blackstar

Couldn't wait any longer! Not real scenic sites, just yard and neighborhood area for some practices with basic settings:

Z 24-120mm f/4 S

DSC_0026-s.JPG

DSC_0028-s.JPG

DSC_0032-s.JPG

DSC_0034-s.JPG

DSC_0033-s.JPG

AF-P 70-300mm DX (with FTZii) - for comparison (picture control set as vivid)

KFW_0072-s.jpg

KFW_0071-s.jpg

KFW_0073-s.jpg

KFW_0087-s.jpg

blackstar

Just razing you. Glad you got it sorted.
I'm sure that would not be the case. For me the challenges are more about ideas than competition.

I could ponder about moving to an area that offers better sites for photography though...

And then we may still consider weekly challenge a kind of competition on ideas. Thank you for the encouragement.

desmobob

I just plug my camera into my PC with a USB C cord. Then I drag and drop files. No need for any transfer software, and much easier than pulling the card and plugging into a card reader.

I assume your Mac will recognize the camera without having to have transfer software.

I just tried this in an attempt to work around my lack of a QXD or CF Express card reader and my desire to load some custom Picture Controls onto my Z 7II (they must be loaded onto the media in card slot #1).

My MacBook Pro does not recognize the Z 7II as a camera or as another drive when the USB cable is connected. And I tried with the USB power option selected "ON" or "OFF." So, I guess downloading image files this way is also a no-go.

Clovishound

I just tried this in an attempt to work around my lack of a QXD or CF Express card reader and my desire to load some custom Picture Controls onto my Z 7II (they must be loaded onto the media in card slot #1).

My MacBook Pro does not recognize the Z 7II as a camera or as another drive when the USB cable is connected. And I tried with the USB power option selected "ON" or "OFF." So, I guess downloading image files this way is also a no-go.

Have you tried the Nikon wireless transfer software? They have it available for Mac. Don't know about the picture controls, but you may be able to download picture files via wifi with it. I tried it on my PC. The software works as far as getting the camera to connect with the PC via wifi, but I haven't been able to actually transfer anything with it yet. Not sure why, and haven't played around with it much. Here's the link for the software.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/223.html

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Amazon has some off brands listed for under $20 with decent ratings. In the past I got this Sony XQD card reader for $33.50. Looks like it has been discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-QDA-SB1...qda-sb1+xqd+usb+adapter,electronics,69&sr=1-3

61SaT5BUGbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

desmobob

Have you tried the Nikon wireless transfer software?

I did try it years back with my D750 but I don't really have a need for it or an interest in messing around with it. I guess the more recent WiFi transfer involves using the Snapbridge app, which is famously unreliable and frustrating, from what I've read. I'm generally frustrated with trying to learn most new computing techniques or software. Cameras are getting dangerously close to giving me more frustration than fun. :rolleyes:

Amazon has some off brands listed for under $20 with decent ratings. In the past I got this Sony XQD card reader for $33.50. Looks like it has been discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-QDA-SB1...qda-sb1+xqd+usb+adapter,electronics,69&sr=1-3

View attachment 379698

Thanks for the links. I really need to break down and get one. My problem is that when I bought my D500, I bought an expensive, fast, XQD card. For my Z 7II, I bought a faster yet CF Express card. As (bad) luck would have it, few card readers work with both. The most-recommended one that does is a Sony, and it's about ninety or a hundred bucks. I'm sure there are, or will be, some less expensive models that will work well.

It's not a big deal as far as the custom picture controls go. I was able to load the film-mimic picture controls I wanted from the NikonPC site to NX Studio. I always shoot RAW so I can apply the custom PCs in post.

blackstar

Just received a $40 CFexpress Type B card reader (metal case). After a test, the reader worked, yet with an overheating issue (just a few minutes, already got sensible temperature -- could be working hard and fast?)

I compare the reader with the Mac Photos app. Both have tradeoffs:

Reader: require taking out and back card from and in camera; possible heating issue

Photos app: require connecting camera (with card on board) to computer; require turning camera on during download/transfer; seemingly more steps than reader.

Should I return the reader? or keep it as a backup or for urgent needs?