Z6ii arrived!

Clovishound

I did try it years back with my D750 but I don't really have a need for it or an interest in messing around with it. I guess the more recent WiFi transfer involves using the Snapbridge app, which is famously unreliable and frustrating, from what I've read. I'm generally frustrated with trying to learn most new computing techniques or software. Cameras are getting dangerously close to giving me more frustration than fun. :rolleyes:

No, it uses the software I posted the link for, Nikon Wireless Transfer. It might not work any better than Snapbridge, but it is a completely different software, and it's free for download.

desmobob

Ah... I haven't tried that one. The software I tried with my D750 was Nikon's "Wireless Mobile Utility" and it worked well for controlling the camera and for transferring photos. I played with it a few times but never really used it.

I was gong to put Snapridge on my iPod Touch (I don't have a mobile phone!) but my iPod is one generation too old to use the app. I'll check out Nikon Wireless Transfer. It might come in very handy sometime...

Clovishound

OK, I played around with the wireless transfer this morning. Finally got it to work. I initially tried hooking it up to my LAN. It connected, but couldn't get anything to actually transfer. This morning I paired the camera directly to the computer. This is a small pain as you must disconnect from your LAN, and then turn on the wifi in the camera, then connect the PC to the camera. Doesn't take long, and it's not complicated, but not as simple and easy as plugging in via USB. Transfer is slow. It does send full sized files over, so that is a bonus. I just don't like wearing out plugs and card slots on the camera by constant plugging in and unplugging.

Here's a decent, short video on the process in case someone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujekkY7b5U

And for those of you on the dark side, here's the MAC version. Note, I didn't watch it, but it looks like the same video, only for MACs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPShTLf3y0

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the links. I really need to break down and get one. My problem is that when I bought my D500, I bought an expensive, fast, XQD card. For my Z 7II, I bought a faster yet CF Express card. As (bad) luck would have it, few card readers work with both. The most-recommended one that does is a Sony, and it's about ninety or a hundred bucks. I'm sure there are, or will be, some less expensive models that will work well.

I know you already spent the money on an XQD card, but are you aware you have the option to change the D500's card to a CF Express with some type of firmware update (I believe that's how it is done)? I haven't done it myself, but I believe at least one person here did it. Then you'd only need a CF Express card reader.

Fred Kingston

I hate these threads... :D Every time we have one, and someone says "it works"... I get stuck in a time-sink trying to download Nikon's software and waste a day trying to get to work...and it never does... I have never been able to get any of Nikon's connectivity software to connect their dongles or wifi cameras to my computer network...

I always end up deleting their stuff off my computers

Clovishound

Sorry Fred. It worked for me. Like I said, it's sort of a pain in the butt, and slow. But I did get it to transfer files. I may try using it for a little while and see how it goes. After getting this to work for me, I remembered that the computer I'm using now has an SD card slot built in. I may end up using that, instead of the USB cable.

That was to a PC, perhaps there are more issues with the Mac version. Also, mine was with a Z camera.

desmobob

I know you already spent the money on an XQD card, but are you aware you have the option to change the D500's card to a CF Express with some type of firmware update (I believe that's how it is done)? I haven't done it myself, but I believe at least one person here did it. Then you'd only need a CF Express card reader.

I could buy a CF Express card for the D500 and a CF Express card reader and then try to sell the XQD card or keep it as a spare, or buy a XQD/CF Express card reader. I'll probably just pony up and buy the nice Sony reader that works with both types of cards.

No one ever said this hobby was economical!!! :D

blackstar

Some shooting around 2nd time: (think AF experience getting better)

Uncropped:
2022-08-27_17-45-41-s.jpg

2022-08-27_17-49-59-s.jpg

100% cropped:
2022-08-27_17-35-59-s.jpg
(120mm is not enough to reach far, am thinking about sigma 150-600mm)

2022-08-27_17-46-05-s.jpg
(just to test how sharp it can go)

blackstar

Does anyone know if "Bracketing Burst Options" (like in D6, e9) can be set in z6ii? Don't see e9 in custom menu of z6ii. The reason for asking is if Bracketing Burst can be enabled, you can get all bracketing shots by pressing shutter button down once vs pressing for each bracketing shot every time (under the condition S is set).

blackstar

Good news! I tried my z6ii with my AF-P 70-300mm non-VR for tonight's moon shot. By handheld and AF, it was easy to catch better images than my old D3500 (by tripod and MF). The images are much much better even with no PP!

2022-09-05_20-51-19 (2)-crop.jpg