Post your Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G photos!

Rick M

Re: New Nikon 18-35g Thread

Ok, I do not have any great "test" shots. You need a flat subject equidistant from the center focal point in order to properly evaluate corners (brick wall). I can show you a 100% center crop below. Focus point on the wheel at f7.1. This was the over exposure from an bracketed series. Not a perfect test shot, but good for real-life "near" center. I have a show this weekend, so can't do any brick walls until next weekend.

Original followed by about 100% crop.

DSC_6411_8988.jpg

DSC_6411_8988-2.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

​With the exception of the 14-24, I believe it beats every other UW zoom in it's class.
@ShootRaw when DXO Mark does lens tests, they do them on individual bodies. Surprisingly some of the lenses are rated higher on a D610 body than a D800. Here is a listing of some normal-to-wide zooms on a D610 so you can see where the 18-35mm falls. Please notice the 16-35mm comes in last on the list. :eek: ​I'm not sure which camera you use, but if you peruse their site, you should be able to find a chart for the camera body you use. :)

Rick M

For the price, there is nothing better and in some areas, it beats more expensive lenses. You'll be amazed at how extremely light weight it is. Some incredibly stupid reviewers (sorry, but this drives me nuts) have said it feels "cheap" because it has no heft to it, to me that's great engineering. Weight does not determine quality, I've had some real heavy lenses that were garbage.

Last edited:

NVSteve

For the price, there is nothing better and in some areas, it beats more expensive lenses. You'll be amazed at how extremely light weight it is. Some incredibly stupid reviewers (sorry, but this drives me nuts) have said it feels "cheap" because it has no heft to it, to me that's great engineering. Weight does not determine quality, I've had some real heavy lenses that were garbage.
It does look just as good, if not better, than the other options. Thanks for posting up all the images & findings. Sure wish Sigma would release a new wide along the lines of their recent lenses. Along with "cheap," the one that annoys me the most is "you get what you pay for." That one just oozes of snobbery.

Rick M

Along with "cheap," the one that annoys me the most is "you get what you pay for." That one just oozes of snobbery.

Exactly! I spent several Months researching and then waiting as soon as I heard this was being released. I could have bought the 14-24 at anytime. We all know the 14-24 is king, but the size, weight and huge filters required is a significant drawback if you want to travel light. I've know several people in my area trying to sell them after a year for those reasons (one of them after trying the my 18-35g). I could have gotten a used one mint and at 2/3rd's the price, bottom line is my decision was not about the price. I'd pay $2k tomorrow if someone comes out with a great 16mm prime, nothing out now lives up to what I want.

aroy

Exactly! I spent several Months researching and then waiting as soon as I heard this was being released. I could have bought the 14-24 at anytime. We all know the 14-24 is king, but the size, weight and huge filters required is a significant drawback if you want to travel light. I've know several people in my area trying to sell them after a year for those reasons (one of them after trying the my 18-35g). I could have gotten a used one mint and at 2/3rd's the price, bottom line is my decision was not about the price. I'd pay $2k tomorrow if someone comes out with a great 16mm prime, nothing out now lives up to what I want.

How about trying the 14mm prime. It is one great lens.

NVSteve

Okay, I'm pretty convinced at this point. I'm dumping the 24-85, so that'll give me a bit of a price break. I'm in the planning process for this year's big vacation & a wide is going to be pretty important for it (or lots of stitching with the 24-120). If you could post anything, other than a boring wall, that has objects fairly equidistant from the camera (edge of a forest, rock pile, etc), that would help. What I'd really like for someone to do is mount this lens on a D600/D610, set it on the ground, dump a bucket of dust all over it, then blow off the lens and body and see if anything got inside. Not that anyone will, but just in case there are any certifiable crazies on this forum. I'd be using this lens backpacking and hiking through some pretty scenic areas of Utah, all of which would benefit from a wide angle & also be subjected to dirt/dust from hell.

Rick M

As far as weather sealing, it has the rubber gasket at the mount. More importantly, it zooms and focuses internally with the exception of about a quarter inch of movement inside the area a filter would cover. So with a filter there is no movement which would bring anything into the lens. Tonight and tomorrow we are having -20 to-30 degree wind chills, I'll try and shoot a non wall latter in the week.

For hiking and backpacking, this is the lens without a doubt.

Last edited:

Rick M

This is from the excavator shot, the over exposure of the series. Below are some crops of the un-cropped original. These are at 18mm and no distortion correction applied, pretty good for an ultra-wide! Keep in mind that the extremes are far behind the focal plane with the exception of the lower left corner.

DSC_6950_9367.jpg

DSC_6950_9367-2.jpg

DSC_6950_9367-3.jpg

DSC_6950_9367-4.jpg

DSC_6950_9367-5.jpg

Last edited: