Miscellaneous Buildings, Streets, and Structures

Sandpatch

From Roanoke, VA in October 1994 [Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]

1994-10-15 001 Roanoke VA - for upload.jpg

Clovishound

With some time on my hands stuck in the house, I thought I would look at some pictures I've taken several months ago and see if there were any that I dismissed at the time, and might just be decent pictures with a little help.

I looked at some pictures from a trip to downtown Charleston back in January and picked a couple that I overlooked.

Unfortunately, I sometimes have a problem deciding between color and B&W for a lot of photos. These are no exceptions, let me know what you think.

St Michael's church is a scene that I fear has been photographed to excess, and yet it is a has a striking look, and a lot of history. George Washington is reputed to have worshiped there, and it survived not only the bombardment of Charleston during that late great unpleasantness of the 1860s, but also the Charleston earthquake several decades later that was strong enough to ring church bells in Philadelphia.

DSC_0735-2.jpg

Of course, this begged to try in B&W.

DSC_0735.jpg

Just down the street from St Michael's is this building. The Pup had gotten a really good shot of one of the chimneys, and I thought I would follow suit with a twist on her photo. Hers is better, but I wasn't going to just out and out copy hers.

DSC_0733.jpg

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

Both of you church photos are great. I overall slightly prefer the color church photo, but the angels in the bottom section of the church stand out a little sharper in the B&W photo. The building on the bottom photo has great exposure, but the angles on the smoke stacks are awkward. You wanted to know what I think, so I hope you are not offended.

BF Hammer

The old city hall of Sun Prairie, WI after being reconstructed.

60P8bYH.jpeg

How it looked in 2006

65oKVfH.jpeg

How it looked in 2018 after the bar across the street exploded.

VjIwdcZ.jpeg

tMMzLKb.jpeg

Clovishound

Both of you church photos are great. I overall slightly prefer the color church photo, but the angels in the bottom section of the church stand out a little sharper in the B&W photo. The building on the bottom photo has great exposure, but the angles on the smoke stacks are awkward. You wanted to know what I think, so I hope you are not offended.

Not at all. I like getting feedback. It's one of the best ways to learn. If all you listen to is positive feedback, you will miss a lot of opportunities to grow. I was thinking somewhat the same thing when I was editing it, and that is likely the reason I didn't do anything with it earlier. I might see if there is enough background to be able to straighten it, but I suspect I would have to ruin the other composition elements to get there. Some people don't mind out of kilter, others it bothers. That makes pictures like this risky. Not sure why I took it on that angle in the first place. I think I was wanting to get the roofline on an angle, but didn't really take the angle of the chimneys into account.