Input on all in one zoom for DX5600

Clovishound

I'm thinking about getting the Pup an upgrade for her D5600 normal zoom. Looks like everything is older designs. She really likes her 5600 and doesn't really want an upgraded camera body right now. I've gotten her DX upgrades in lenses till now, but for a normal/all in one, a DX is really the only way to go for a DX camera.

I can get a brand new 18-200 F3.5-5.6 VRII lens for $650.

New 18-140 F3.5-5.6 VR for $500

Refurbed 18-140 F3.5-5.6 VR for $200

I'm open to the 18-300, but feel that might be pushing the envelope too far.

I've had one good, and one bad experience with Nikon Store refurbs. They made good on the lens, but it was a bit of a hassle.

The 18-200 has a great zoom range, and gets good reviews on the Nikon Store site, for whatever that's worth.

Anyone have experience with any of these lenses?

BF Hammer

I have a different opinion on trying to use an FX 24-120mm f/4 lens. I have it, it is a good choice on an FX body. It is not all-in-one on a DX body due to the minimum focal length with crop factor is 36mm. That is not wide enough IMO for all-in-one.

I too have read mostly good things about the Nikon 18-200mm, but never had one. My old D80 kit came with an 18-135mm lens and it disappointed me. I did buy a Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD (one of the later versions) and I liked that lens. Where the Nikon 18-135 was rather soft with a lot of chromatic in the telephoto end, the Tamron had good contrast and the overall images looked sharper on the same body. But it did have a bad case of focus creep (that 270mm was only with infinity focus, more like 230mm at closer range). The zoom lock switch needed to be used as that lens just fell to full extension every time it was pointed downward. But that is the worst of my complaints about it.

The Tamrons are rather easy to find on the used markets.

Clovishound

If you are going to stay with a DSLR I would look at FX glass.
May be a 24-120mm 4G ED.
While that would normally be my first thought, The issue with that is the wide end would be 36mm equivalent on a DX body, and far short of the 200mm, 300mm equivalent, on the max end. The other issue is the price is approaching twice that of the 18-200, which is more than I was looking to spend right now. I was thinking she would enjoy having a lens that would cover a much greater range than the 18-55 she has right now. I would hope that the image, and build quality would be better as well.

On the positive, the 24-120 is actually only 6 oz heavier and a constant F4.

Not set on the idea of this lens, just looking for something to get for her for Christmas. Right now, the wife and I have precious little other ideas.

Clovishound

I have a different opinion on trying to use an FX 24-120mm f/4 lens. I have it, it is a good choice on an FX body. It is not all-in-one on a DX body due to the minimum focal length with crop factor is 36mm. That is not wide enough IMO for all-in-one.

I too have read mostly good things about the Nikon 18-200mm, but never had one. My old D80 kit came with an 18-135mm lens and it disappointed me. I did buy a Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD (one of the later versions) and I liked that lens. Where the Nikon 18-135 was rather soft with a lot of chromatic in the telephoto end, the Tamron had good contrast and the overall images looked sharper on the same body. But it did have a bad case of focus creep (that 270mm was only with infinity focus, more like 230mm at closer range). The zoom lock switch needed to be used as that lens just fell to full extension every time it was pointed downward. But that is the worst of my complaints about it.

The Tamrons are rather easy to find on the used markets.
They have an 18-200 F3.5-6.3 brand new for $250 at B&H.

nikonbill

Contributor
I'm thinking about getting the Pup an upgrade for her D5600 normal zoom
Clovishound,
I have the Nikkor 18-300 f/3.5-6.3G ED VR (DX version) Fred and nikonpup make a great point on the FX glass. I was really on the fence about going with the 28-300 FX version, to hopefully improve quality. The weight of the lens and the close focus of 18mm made me pull the trigger on the DX version.

I use mine pretty much all the time I wish to use the focal range it can deliver. I may have gotten lucky, but I do feel it's very sharp for this type of lens and range. Maybe not as good as a closer range zoom and maybe not as sharp as FX glass can be.

I love the weight (handling) and shooting flexibility it delivers; I love that I can adjust focus anytime. It feels good on the Z-50 even with the FTZ-II as well as the D7200, light enough to confidently use on the tripod with the body screw.

With this type of decision, it's all about what will improve on what you have. I don't envy you as there are so many choices, happy shopping

Last edited:

Clovishound

I talked with the Pup about this last night. I usually consult her before buying something expensive. She doesn't seem terribly interested in upgrading her normal zoom right now, so I will shelve this idea for now.

I appreciate the feedback from all. Now I need to figure out something else to get her for Christmas.

TwistedThrottle

@Clovishound
Hope you don't mind me adding a thought or two, if not for you, someone else considering the same thing. The all in ones are a fantastic compromise between image quality and convenience. The longer out you go, the more of a compromise on image quality you give for convenience and size. What's important to you in an all in one zoom? Having literally all-in-one, or is most-in-one good enough? If 300-400 is most important, go with the Nikon 18-300 or the Tamron 18-400.
I've got the 18-140 and I feel it hits that sweet spot of long enough for most situations and also small enough to be ultra convenient. It's picture quality is also surprisingly good for such an inexpensive lens, (go refurb'd, it's one of the best deals out there!) I've got the 24-120 also and on the bigger bodies like the D7XXX, its fine. Not as wide and not as long as the 18-140 but it gives better image quality due to the better optics and nano coating. Its also a beefcake compared to the 18-140. On smaller bodies, that 24-120 would feel extremely front heavy and awkward whereas the 18-140 fits much, much better.
What is missing on all these lenses is a wide angle option. Unless you, (or your daughter) enjoy taking panos of every single wide angle shot and stitching in post every single wide angle shot, how about a wide angle lens? Tokina 11-16, 11-20 f2.8 is a fantastic lens and compliments any DX standard or all in one lens by offering a wide view plus it opens up night time photography with the bright aperture, and it wont break the bank.
Another idea would be a prime to compliment the standard or all in one. The 50 f1.8 is bright and offers a great focal length for portraits or there's the 35 f1.8 great for low light standard shots, both can be had for under a couple hundred bucks. Hope this helps!