Ever feel ashamed about your D3100?

crycocyon

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a D3100 but actually wouldn't mind owning it because of its size and light weight. And yes it is still a Nikon DSLR. I think if I had that as a starting camera I would be working just as hard to take great photos, and would take it just as seriously as a photographic tool as anything else I've used. I was actually considering a D5100 or D3100 as a camera for my wife but ended up with a D7000 just because I wanted the flexibility to use FX lenses down the road.

A saying by Ernst Haas:

“The camera doesn’t make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to see."

When I saw Ernst Haas speak about his work, I remember something he said about people's reactions to cameras. It went something like this (not direct quote as I'd have to look for my notes):

With a pocket camera, the subject will relax and take a casual pose, with a motorized DSLR, the subject will start jumping around, and with a Hasselblad, the subject will assume an Irvin Penn style pose.

So it isn't just what you do with the camera, it can also be sometimes how your subject will react to it, and I find that kind of interesting. There are certainly types of cameras suited to particular goals. I'd rather have a small camera if I was doing street candid shooting.

Horoscope Fish

These conversations remind me of experiences I've had in another hobby of mine: defensive pistol shooting. I've attended numerous matches and while I'm no top-flight pro, I can hold own out to the twenty-five yard line. Now, getting good at shooting a pistol rapidly AND accurately, often while moving or from behind cover, is about 95% "in your head", 10% raw physical performance and 2% what pistol and holster you bring to the firing line.

I've heard the comments and been almost laughed at approaching the line with some pretty mundane, even cheap equipment but you know when the laughing stops? When I clean the clock of the hot-shot in the adjacent lane who's sporting the $5000 Gemini Custom using a bone-stock, $500 Springfield I had to borrow from my coach last minute. With minor variations on that theme, I've done it a few times at least and not because I'm particularly good, but because I know what matters in the game and what matters in the game is NOT what pistol I have in my hand. You can't buy good split-times, trigger control or the mental focus required to compete and win matches. This is because what matters is not WHAT you're shooting; it's HOW you're shooting it; it's your skill's-base.

It's no different with photography: Spend as much as you want but you can't buy your way into good images, many have tried, many more will in the future and all will fail. Because what matters is not WHAT you're shooting; it's HOW you're shooting it.

mikeh32217

Why would you ever feel ashamed of your equipment, it's what you do with the equipment!
I've taken shots with my brother-in-laws D3100 and have one of the shots framed on my wall.

Bill16

My favorite photos come from the D3100 as I've said and my spider shot is wallpaper on my laptop,tablet and phone! Lol :)
I have to yet get a shot I like as well on any other camera. Lol :D

1375205713744.jpg

Pretzel

Do you ever feel ashamed when you admit to people that you only have a D3100?

I must admit that I adore telling people I have an entry-level, general public camera that is the cheapest Nikon DSLR you can buy. I just love the look on their faces when they see the macro photos I have taken with it. I am a reverse snob and I love my D3100.

Never. Period.

I usually only got asked by folks that loved a particular photo I shared... you know the type. "Wow, you must have a great camera!" folks. The ones who didn't know cameras would go, "Ahhhhh!" and that was it. All I felt was pride in the fact that I produced something that caught their interest, and I loved the fact that I was able to do it with my wonderful little red beast. (since replaced by the PRIMAL beast)

Those who DID know cameras usually responded with, "REALLY!?", and that gave me even more pride as I was able to produce something that caught their interest AND prove that it's more the photographer than the equipment.

Either way, no shame. ;) Plus, even though I have my PRIMAL beast, the D7100, now, I have no shame in saying that a D3100 is my backup, especially when most of the shots in my portfolio came from that gem!

WeeHector

I have to admit that I have spoken with several pros in the last few days who, having seen the hi-res versions of my shots, have told me I must contact a photographic agency. They are really blown away by the stacked images. :D

Bill16

I have to agree with you there in a way. Though I know the D5100 is a good camera and I've seen awesome shots that Don took using one, I hated the feel of it altogether. I liked my D3100's feel much better even. But it wasn't until I got the D300 that I got the ooooh that feels right feeling! Sometimes that really makes a big difference when choosing what I like best! Lol :)
Not very scientific, but it is a factor none the less for me! :D

in my field, there is a lot of **** measuring going on by your gear. the better the gear the better you supposedly are. gear influences peoples perception of you as a pro. I was conscious when I used my 50 1.8d not because of the siz ebut the cheap build. I also didnt like the D600 too much. not because it was the entry FF camera but because of the way it feels in the hand. everytime I would lift the camera, inside I had a sigh and said to myself, wow what a POS camera.

WeeHector

I have to agree with you there in a way. Though I know the D5100 is a good camera and I've seen awesome shots that Don took using one, I hated the feel of it altogether. I liked my D3100's feel much better even. But it wasn't until I got the D300 that I got the ooooh that feels right feeling! Sometimes that really makes a big difference when choosing what I like best! Lol :)
Not very scientific, but it is a factor none the less for me! :D

Before I bought the D3100, I read a lot of reviews and one of the most common criticisms was that it was small and difficult to hold for those with big hands. I didn't have that problem myself but I must admit that I prefer the feel ever since I added the battery pack. The last time I tried it without the pack, I kept thinking I'd forgotten to put in a battery. Now it really feels solid and I'm not afraid that I'm going to drop it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My first DSLR was the D3100. Since then, I've owned the D5100 and D600. Below is my number one selling print (close to 100), manually bracketed using a D3100. Never ashamed, it resurrected my love for photography!

View attachment 103539

I always look forward to your heavy equipment shots. You make them look so realistic yet so artistic! ;) No wonder the women go back to buy them--the HDR really brings out so many details, and you do an excellent job with HDR! :)

It's all about who is shooting--not what's being used to shoot that counts.

aroy

No equipment is worth being ashamed of, if it serves its purpose, and gives good results.

I started with a Russian SLR bought for $50 and it served me well. I took a lot of shots during marriages of our relatives. When my son bought an N70, it was an upgrade, but I stuck to my Zenit. Then he upgraded to D70 and later D300. By that time cell phones were there with 2MP cameras. That served me well. Now I have a Nokia with 5MP, and I have shot thousands of images with the cell phone, mostly for professional use.

Now that I am more or less retired, I wanted a DSLR of my own. So I got the D3300 this March. Why? because it is the lightest 24MP DSLR with a good lense. I did not need the gizmos of the D5xxx or the D7xxx series, just a good basic camera.

Lot of people confuse equipment with excellence, forgetting that it is fellow using the equipment who matters. Some feel that unless they sport the top-of-the-range camera with an arm long zoom, their images will not be upto the standard. They forget that most professionals, at least in India, are still using their D90's for weddings and events. No one is going to object as long as the images are first rate.

Nero

I wish I had saved up for a better camera but I'm not ashamed I have the D3100. It's better than what most people around here have, no-one would even know it's only an entry-level DSLR. :p

weebee

The D3100 has been a great camera for me. I've learned a lot from using it. And from being a member of this awesome forum.

Horoscope Fish

If you can't take great pictures with a D3100, you won't be able to take great pictures with a D800 either; you'll just be out more money.

search231GT

I've never felt ashamed of my D3100 it's perfect for the kind of photography I do. Sure it's the most affordable but it gets the job done and then some. From talking to people and reading articles about photography I've learned that lenses are what are really important.