Beginner questions about 7200.

Plainsman

Alright got the tracking update! Scheduled for Thursday arrival!

We had planned an Easter weekend camping trip to a national forest, but the forecast has changed to dropping temps and a snow/rain mix. Personally I like that, but with our youngest 2 kids (20 months and 7) that kind of weather is challenging. Probably gonna have to change plans. Hopefully I can still get out for a bit with the new camera.

Plainsman

WooHoo it's here, and it looks awesome! Looks brand new, not a scuff or scratch anywhere.

I just popped the battery in the charger and I'll check the shutter count here in a bit.

I also ordered a new Lowe Pro Fastback BP 150 AW 2. With my Tamron 70-300 attached, it just barely fits, not a mm to spare. Looks great and well built.

Plainsman

Well that surprised me. Shutter count of 9490. Almost 10,000 clicks?

Cameta says all refurbs have minimal to no use.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Well that surprised me. Shutter count of 9490. Almost 10,000 clicks?
That does strike me as high... Speaking for myself, that would generate a phone call. Hundreds of clicks is one thing, but almost ten-thousand?

For instance just did some quick math and I'm finding that 9,500 actuations = 150 shots a day, every day, for over two months. I'm wondering who did the refurbishment and if a shutter replacement is part of their refurbishment...

Yeah... I'm not saying I'd be all ballistically PO'ed and what not, but I'd have questions.

Last edited:

Plainsman

Yeah I called, they told me that is not unusual for a refurb. They said the D7200 has a shutter life expectancy of 150,000 clicks, so 9500 is minimal.

They also said that all their Nikon refurbs come directly from the Nikon factory, no refurbs are done in store. The sealed box has a Nikon factory refurb sticker on it also.

The camera has a 1 year parts and labor warranty from Cameta, and 90 days from Nikon. I'm not worried about it, I was just surprised.

Like I said too, it looks brand new!

Now, why am I not outside taking pictures?!

nickt

Wow, that does seem high. Cameta gives you a one year warranty so that is good if you decide to keep it. I would call them. If you are otherwise happy with it, it should be easy to talk them into giving you a 3 or 5 year warranty rather than returning it.

My d7200 refurb from a few years ago came with less than 10 clicks. With all this talk of good refurb prices, I picked up a 2nd d7200 refurb from Adorama this week. I was a little surprised to see it had around 3200 clicks. Not enough to make me question it, but leaves me wondering if things have changed. Maybe they have reset them in the past and now they don't. In my mind, over 5000 clicks starts to sound 'used'.

Plainsman

Just went for a quick walk in the park with my daughter and the cat (yes) and snapped some shots. No setup or anything, and the photos are great. They just blow away the D3100 pics, which I always thought were great. Now my wife says she wants a new camera!

Dawg Pics

Now my wife says she wants a new camera!

Well, wht is the next gift giving day? If she gets into photography, you will have presents for a long time. Lenses, filters, lens balls, etc.

Glad you are liking your semi-new camera.

Out of curiosity, does your camera have 2 little engraved dots on either side of the serial number?

Plainsman

Well, wht is the next gift giving day? If she gets into photography, you will have presents for a long time. Lenses, filters, lens balls, etc.

Glad you are liking your semi-new camera.

Out of curiosity, does your camera have 2 little engraved dots on either side of the serial number?

Yeah it's got the two tiny holes on each side of the serial number.

cwl111286

My wife and i just bought 2 7200 refurb units from B&H both around 3500 on the shutter count, both working great and have no regrets. We moved from a d7000 and a d3200. I also bought a third party battery grip works great! welcome to the 7200 family.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard he D7200 family. Enjoy the ride.
We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

Myself and many Nikonites consider the D7200 the best all-around DX camera you can get.

Jon Yates

Is it possible to see the effect of your setting live in the viewfinder? I dont like having to see the image review to know that shutter speed is too high and too dark.

nickt

Is it possible to see the effect of your setting live in the viewfinder? I dont like having to see the image review to know that shutter speed is too high and too dark.
Welcome.
No, in a DSLR, you are looking right through the wide open lens. At most you can push the pv button to preview depth of field. Many of us reprogram that button for other uses though. Live view does not necessarily represent the final image exposure either.

I think in time you will not worry about this. The meter will usually get things right or you will know by the scene what compensation to make. If you are shooting manual, you still have the meter in the viewfinder if you want a guide. Be aware of your meter modes and how they work. (matrix, center weighted and spot)
Not knowing your experience level, I have to ask, you are not just randomly picking manual settings, right? If so, get familiar with the basics of exposure and the exposure triangle. We can post links to help with that if you need it.

joecap

Hi, I see this post is a few months old..
If you haven't purchased yet, Go with the D7200 Its a work horse and you can do almost anything with it..
I had upgraded to a D7200 a few years ago.. I used and still have a D5100.
Save some money up and get some good lenes..
good Luck

alpine_56

I have a 7100 and a 7200, I just picked up the 7200 a little over a month ago. The 7200 is a nice upgrade over the 7100 and it amazing at low light.
Here's one I took tonight at 25600 iso in near darkness!
344f9be6eb95fb8f9fc4010964144a3e.jpg

Last edited: