AF-mode button no longer works

kevmk81

Yes, I completely understand the venting issue. And I must apologize for coming off so gruff. But believe me when say that we see a lot of people come through here with unrealistic expectations and no, I do not believe you have unrealistic expectations at all, it's more that I'm a bit sensitized to it and I broke the rule #2 of the internet - posting before coffee. Had I finished at least one cup I'm sure my response would have been either missing or much more gentle.

So I'm hoping I didn't scare you off of the forum and I most sincerely hope you post your time lapse work here when you receive back your D7100. I hope it's a fast turn-around and that it marks the one and only time you have to submit your camera to Nikon. And again, I'm sorry for anything that may have sounded rude or unsympathetic. I really do understand how frustrating sending a camera in and I should have simply ignored your "I wish I hadn't bought a Nikon" and chalked it up to someone venting their frustration.

That's ok my friend :)

I know I don't have many posts here. And on internet forums, that doesn't gather much respect, especially when someone sounds new at something - like photography. I will definitely post my time lapse here when I get a chance. Heck, I might just post it tonight - at least his first 7 months of life! :) And maybe a few other pics I've taken so far that I really like. I'm not the best photographer, but I've came a loooong way since I've started not too long ago.

I bought my first Nikon from BestBuy and I am glad I did. The D3100 was never right from day 1 (Very soft Focus). I thought it was me and many people tried to convince me that it was me. I finally carried it back to Best Buy after the 30 day return period and the sent it off to get it repaired at their cost. It came back and not only was the focus still screwed up now the color was psychedelic. I went back to same day and handed it to them and told them the story and showed them the camera and photo. They did not say a word. They walked away and came back with a new camera in the box and opened it up and handed me the new body. I have had no problem with Best Buy over the years and have always been able to get great service from them.

kevmk81

So I ended up shipping through USPS. I had USPS add tracking to the package. I see online it says it was delivered on Monday 1/6/2014. I have yet to get an email saying Nikon has received it. :-(

kevmk81

Good news and bad news.

Good news is I got my camera back. Bad news is, now it won't even take pictures. Right out of the box, put a lens on, resent everything to the factory/default settings, and the image came out black. At this point I'm extremely frustrated with Nikon. They claim they checked everything on the list of work done to the camera. If they truly did, they would have noticed pitch black pictures. This is unacceptable. Would be like if I wrote code, didn't test it and put it in production just assuming it would work. Unreal.

Edited to add: ok so it technically takes "pictures", but the image is entirely black, even when the exposure is adjusted properly.

kevmk81

So, if I were to buy something for $1200, a button doesn't work, sent it in to get repaired, company claims it's fixed and they checked everything, sends it back to customer, button works but now the camera won't take anything but pitch black pictures. I seriously can't wrap my head around this. I would have been a happy customer, and repeat customer, if the camera would have worked for at LEAST a week when receiving it back from Nikon service.

Is there ANY way you all think Nikon could/would raise the white flag on this lemon and replace it?

nickt

Its past your return period, but I'm thinking I would bring your camera and service documents to the Best Buy customer service desk and calmly and politely tell them "I had enough and I want a new camera NOW. I bought a camera, it didn't work, I sent it to be repaired for weeks because you would not take it back, it still doesn't work. I paid for a working camera and I do not have a working camera." Don't yell, don't get emotional, don't make any threats legal or otherwise. Just repeat the basic issue. You bought a camera and it doesn't work and they did not fix it. Don't get involved in any other conversations. Don't leave and don't break eye contact. Make them uncomfortable. Only settle for a replacement or refund. Ask for a manager if need be. Best Buy didn't really do you wrong, but unfortunately you can't do the in-person stare down with Nikon. I've had great luck calmly standing my ground like this, not with cameras or Best Buy, just in general when I feel like I got the short end of the stick. Good luck.

kevmk81

Update: so last night I was playing around with the camera before trying to call Nikon. I kept taking pictures over and over, I'd say probably fifty pictures. Suddenly I started seeing an image, but a really faint one. Then it seemed like the camera was taking a 'double shutter'. Almost like it sounded like it was taking pictures in live view mode. I kept taking pictures, messing with different shutter speeds, manual mode, shutter mode, auto, ect..., and FINALLY the camera was taking pictures just like it use to.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would have happened?? I find it strange. Hopefully it's not a sign of what's to come (not working again). Should I still plan on sending the camera in, or just wait? It will be nice to finally be able to use it again after almost 3 weeks. I'm still not too happy that they sent me the camera in this condition. Obviously they didn't truly test the camera before it's sent out, or else they would have not sent it back to me.

I posted this on another forum... so hopefully someone between the two forums knows what technically happened and could possibly provide some insight. :-/

Horoscope Fish

Update: so last night I was playing around with the camera before trying to call Nikon. I kept taking pictures over and over, I'd say probably fifty pictures. Suddenly I started seeing an image, but a really faint one. Then it seemed like the camera was taking a 'double shutter'. Almost like it sounded like it was taking pictures in live view mode. I kept taking pictures, messing with different shutter speeds, manual mode, shutter mode, auto, ect..., and FINALLY the camera was taking pictures just like it use to.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would have happened?? I find it strange. Hopefully it's not a sign of what's to come (not working again). Should I still plan on sending the camera in, or just wait? It will be nice to finally be able to use it again after almost 3 weeks. I'm still not too happy that they sent me the camera in this condition. Obviously they didn't truly test the camera before it's sent out, or else they would have not sent it back to me.

I posted this on another forum... so hopefully someone between the two forums knows what technically happened and could possibly provide some insight. :-/
I'm wondering if your shutter was stuck, or obstructed by something that finally broke free. Your shutter sticking open would certainly explain the totally black/horribly over-exposed shots. I'd keep shooting it and if the problem does not re-appear I'd say you're probably in the clear.

Last edited:

CarlosLevel

Hello Bro Im interested in your answer in my case I actually reseted all setting and it should change back to Fabric Setting but still won't work in suggestion ?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello Bro Im interested in your answer in my case I actually reseted all setting and it should change back to Fabric Setting but still won't work in suggestion ?

Welcome!

This is an old thread. You might want to start a new thread.

Edit: I see you did open a new thread

Last edited:

kevmk81

@CarlosLevel - I had to send my camera to Nikon where they performed in warranty service. I haven't had an issue since then - and we use the camera often still. Wow I can't believe we've had it this long!! Ha! Happy owners of our 7100.