New owner. a.k.a noob

Elliot6267

Hello forum. I'd like to introduce myself as I am new and very excited. Im a 24 year old, with a geography degree under his belt. so naturally the world around me is a passion of mine, and I'v longed for a good camera to be able to document what I see. because lets face it. the world is a beautiful place. So after a long time of wishful thinking, and a lot of comparisons and jumping from camera to camera, I finally settled on the D3100. I haven't actually got the camera yet (due to arrive on Monday morning) and I honestly can't wait to get my hands on it.

I just have a few things I could do with some advice on.

firstly:

Essential Accessories.
I have bought the 18 - 55mm lens kit. Im assuming that for a beginner, that this will be more than adequate lens. Im just wondering what other accessories I'm going to need in the early days. Im thinking storage/carry bag, memory card. lens cap, UV filter...
anything else?

secondly:

can anyone throw some ideas around of thing to do with the camera to better get to know it. obviously not actually having the camera itself yet, it is a pretty open question. I might get the camera and it all might fall into place. but are there any tips and hints, and basic shooting modes that can help develop my skills?
I am interested in taking landscape and nature photography as well as night photos with long exposure (lets be honest. well all want one of those photos ;))

so yeah. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in with it.

Hopefully you will see a lot more of me on here as time goes on.

pedroj

Hi & welcome Put it in Aperture Priority F8...ISO200...Have fun..

For your night images you might need remote shutter release..

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The first accessory I would recommend for your long exposures is a good tripod. I think it is essential.

sailtastic

Get a tripod and read and re-read the manual. Jeff Revell also wrote a fantastic book on how to get the best of the d3100. With the kit lens the opportunities are vast. Just get out there and take pics.

SteveH

Welcome Elliot!
I would say at the very least, get a camera bag - When it's not use you don't want it open to dust etc, and when you are out with it you will need a bag. Make sure that the bag you get has more space than you need as I promise that within a year you will have one or two more lenses and other bits to carry!
Also, as others have said, a tripod or monopod can be invaluble!