D7000-Outdoor Winter Portraits / Help!!!

Was just asked to do an engagement shoot, outdoors. Mind you, it is winter now...and there's snow on the ground. And to add to my challenge, the couple is multi-racial. (he's black, she's white....a rather pale white, I might add.) Sooooo, can someone give me some advice on what settings to use. I'm assuming I should choose "M" on my command dial so I have full manual control of the settings. OR, should I choose "Scene" and pick from one of those and let the camera do the settings for me? I would appreciate anyone's help on this. I'm a new D7000 user, and haven't even gotten thru my "Nikon D7000 for Dummies" book yet :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Dave_W

The Dude
If you understand the concept of depth (DoF) of field then I would use the A setting. That way you'll be able to adjust the DoF and not have to worry about shutter speeds, etc.

ideacipher

I always expose for the darkest subject and work the rest out in post. Sounds like more of a metering problem. Spot meter on him and take the shot then later in post you can make her look white again.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Was just asked to do an engagement shoot, outdoors. Mind you, it is winter now...and there's snow on the ground. And to add to my challenge, the couple is multi-racial. (he's black, she's white....a rather pale white, I might add.) Sooooo, can someone give me some advice on what settings to use. I'm assuming I should choose "M" on my command dial so I have full manual control of the settings. OR, should I choose "Scene" and pick from one of those and let the camera do the settings for me? I would appreciate anyone's help on this. I'm a new D7000 user, and haven't even gotten thru my "Nikon D7000 for Dummies" book yet :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Shoot RAW + jpg. You can spot meter on her face since it's harder to adjust an over exposed faced. My wife has a lighter complexion and if I don't meter on her face, it normally gets over exposed when using a fill flash. Do trial shots then adjust the power of your flash as necessary. Good luck with the photo shoot.

WhiteLight

Don't get me wrong, but are you sure you want to take this assignment?
Are you the sole photographer or would you be shooter no 2?
Do the bride & groom not mind not having the greatest of pics?
Don't get me wrong, i think you got to learn a LOT before you can take up an assignment judging by your post.

For one, shooting in the snow is an entirely new ball game & is not the easiest one to master

Eye-level

Banned
I could do it. Everything would be on M. Most used lens would be the 28. The 105 for the close ups. And I would do 95% in natural light and one reflector and the rest with shallow on board flash. I would shoot them raw and I would also expose for the darker details and the rescue the highlights in PP. The white snow just makes it cold that is all warm it up and stop the lens down. Meter the bride's face by putting a white board up next to it and metering that.

If I had a AF lens I would do it on A mode probably.

I say do it. It is a challenge you will learn probably. So it is worth it. Just don't go touting yourself to them...let them know you are just doing.

:)

Last edited:
Shoot RAW + jpg. You can spot meter on her face since it's harder to adjust an over exposed faced. My wife has a lighter complexion and if I don't meter on her face, it normally gets over exposed when using a fill flash. Do trial shots then adjust the power of your flash as necessary. Good luck with the photo shoot.

But would I technically need a flash, if the photos are being taken outdoors, on a bright day with snow on the ground, or can I rely on the natural light around me? Also, I'm assuming when you say 'spot meter on her face', you mean use a light meter? I don't currently own one, so I have to do trial shots, I suppose till I find what looks good. For some reason, shooting in Raw scares me to death....don't know why. Have always had my camera(s) set to jpeg. I'm a big chicken, I guess :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For some reason, shooting in Raw scares me to death....don't know why. Have always had my camera(s) set to jpeg. I'm a big chicken, I guess :)

On the otherhand, jpg scares me to death. The only time I shot exclusively with jpg was when I first followed Mr. Ken Rockwell's advice which I now regret. Now I only use jpg to preview my shots on the computer. Shoot RAW +jpg and manipulate the RAW files on Nikon view. You'll be surprised how much you can do with a RAW file especially when recovering some details from the shadows.

Dave_W

The Dude
Also, I'm assuming when you say 'spot meter on her face', you mean use a light meter? I don't currently own one, so I have to do trial shots, I suppose till I find what looks good.

You already have a light meter, it's in your camera. Set the camera's meter to "spot" instead of "matrix" and then you can meter her face by simply putting the focus point at her face. Then you can either shoot it right then and there or you can remember the shutter speed and recompose the shot but manually set the shutter speed back to the shutter speed determined when you metered on her face.

shoot it all 1/2-1 stop under exposed and sort it out later ..contrast -1 or you will burn the whites......M ?? whats wrong with A (aperture not auto) and just worry about the poses

Phil Hobby

Meter for the background and then bring enough flash in to match the metering or maybe even under expose the background a little due to the snow. Use an off camera flash and position it where some of the natural light is already hitting the face. Shoot RAW where you will have more control. I agree with Whitelight, you might not be ready for this. At least it is Engagement and can be re-shot. Weddings can't though.

eurotrash

But would I technically need a flash, if the photos are being taken outdoors, on a bright day with snow on the ground, or can I rely on the natural light around me? Also, I'm assuming when you say 'spot meter on her face', you mean use a light meter? I don't currently own one, so I have to do trial shots, I suppose till I find what looks good. For some reason, shooting in Raw scares me to death....don't know why. Have always had my camera(s) set to jpeg. I'm a big chicken, I guess :)

When you don't know what spot metering is, it's not yet time to take the harder assignment. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but I feel that knowing your camera's basic functionality has to be addressed before being paid for a gig, IMHO.. Take a look at that manual at the section titled "Metering" and all will be made clear.

I do agree about needing to start somewhere, but shooting in the snow with subjects that are difficult to get right just doesn't seem like the place to start. As far as settings go, I couldn't help you there. I've no idea what the light in your area is like, weather you have a flash unit or three or what the setting for the shoot is.. I agree with putting it in A and going for it, though spot metering will help you here.