D800 vs. D800E Question. Which one to get?

Corey @ Faymus Media

Hey I was just thinking....instead of getting a d800 for video and photos, could I just get a d800e for extra portrait sharpness and if I am in a video or photo situation that might have moire install a removable filter? Philip bloom had it in his video, it removed all moire in 720pm or most of it.

does this lowpass filter that Philip bloom uses allow the d800e to be as good as a d800 for moire?

If so I will get a d800e and get the filter.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d800/8283-post-your-nikon-d800-d800e-images-here-5.html#ixzz2GKPQmaQO

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I would say flip a coin. The D800E provides better acuity or detail once you start pixel peeping. Otherwise, they are both very good for portrait and studio type work. Can't comment on the removable filter since I have no first hand experience. I own a D800E and after using it for a while, I really don't care much if it is slightly better or not. Photography is my hobby and everytime I use my camera, it's always a good day for me regardless of the weather.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I would say flip a coin. The D800E provides better acuity or detail once you start pixel peeping. Otherwise, they are both very good for portrait and studio type work. Can't comment on the removable filter since I have no first hand experience. I own a D800E and after using it for a while, I really don't care much if it is slightly better or not. Photography is my hobby and everytime I use my camera, it's always a good day for me regardless of the weather.

Lol thanks. I just don't moire to be over bearing in video. However the D800 is sharp, but the D800 looks even sharper.

Corey @ Faymus Media

would I be better off getting a D800e refurbed @ 2699, used in excellent coniditon @ 2899, or new at 3099?

Adorama says that refurb is hand inspected by technicians and can usually be of higher quality than a new one because the new units are assembly line inspected and tested. Is this true?

I want a good price but I want to make sure I have a FULL warranty just like I purchased a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stmv

seems like the D800e does edge out the D800, I have the D800, and totally satisfied with the sharpness

The word was not yet out on the Moire sensitivity when I got my D800, but enough out to say its well contained, so,, might as well
get the D800e if you don't have one yet.

Corey @ Faymus Media

seems like the D800e does edge out the D800, I have the D800, and totally satisfied with the sharpness

The word was not yet out on the Moire sensitivity when I got my D800, but enough out to say its well contained, so,, might as well
get the D800e if you don't have one yet.

good to hear. What are your thoughts on my above post?