Picked up another deal on Ebay

disciplerocks

So I tried another gamble on Ebay for $20. Nikkor 24mm f2.8 for parts. I got it and after some fiddling with it because of an F-EE error, I noticed the plastic tab on the aperture ring had been broken off. The one that tells the body that its locked all the way up. Easy fix.

The lens works great, but there are some scratches on both ends. The outside glass I am not too worried about, but I would like to reduce them on the inside glass. Its not too noticable in the pictures, but they are a bit soft. Any good recommendations for removing light scratches? I already tried the toothpaste and cloth trick. Worked a little, but not enough.

disciplerocks

Here is a picture I just took with it. No editing.

Attachments

• DSC_5112.jpg
    DSC_5112.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 198

Tami Jo

Wow that sounds like a great deal. Both of those tricks I have heard work quite well. You might get some better suggestions here or perhaps a Nikon repair shop could give you some advice or a repair quote. Other than the scratches how do you like that wide width?

disciplerocks

Sadly the only camera shop around (minus the big box stores) closed a few ago.

I have a MF 28mm 2.8 and a 28mm 2.5 so its about the same. Nice to have one thats an AF lens though. Will make a good addition to my 35mm and 50mm if I can clear it up. Read something about using jewelers rouge.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
That lens is coated. It is toast you won't be removing any scratches from it and if you have been rubbing an eraser on it the coating is gone for sure...never touch a lens with anything if you can help it...possibly get it recoated...the front element with scratches is not so critical but when the back element is scratched the lens is toast unless you can find a donor. They are relatively easy to take apart.

disciplerocks

Thanks. For the couple attempts I have made, doesn't seem to have affected the coating at all. I am going to try to get some jewelers rouge. If that doesn't work, then No biggie, I'm not out that much.