Snow Geese

BackdoorArts

Not great photos, but I wanted to share with other wildlife enthusiasts an event that occurred yesterday. We were driving along a local road on our way to spend a gift card or two, when I looked out my side window and was astounded at what I saw in the sky. Thousands upon thousands of Snow Geese flying in various formations spanning miles. I almost drove off the road several times while looking, bothering my wife with not only my driving by my insistence that she somehow contort herself from the passenger seat so she could catch a glimpse. Finally I pulled over and said, "We have to get out to see this". We stepped outside, and I grabbed my D600 from behind my seat (like AMEX, don't leave home without it) knowing it had the wrong lens for this, and fired off a few shots - which needed major fixing when I realized my brother had left it in a rather inappropriate state for these shots after checking it out on Christmas.

Who needs air shows when you have this? They settle in at a local reservoir for the winter. You'll be seeing more photos as the winter goes on and I get out there and freeze my butt off with them. For now, here's a bit of the fly over. It went on like this for a solid 5 minutes.

_D610432.jpg_D610433.jpg_D610438.jpg

Last edited:

fotojack

Looks like they're on their way to a Boxing Day sale! :) By the way, they're Canada Geese. :) They're probably bilingual, too....French AND English Canada Geese! lol :)

BackdoorArts

Beggin' the Colonel's pardon, but as I said the settings make it touch to see, and I got nothing really crisp with it zoomed. But here's a crop that shows the white bodies and black wing tip markings of a Snow Goose. Believe me, we have enough of your Canadian Geese down here that I know the difference. Vermin that they are. :p

_D610431.jpg

fotojack

I stand corrected. Snow Geese they are. I should have realized that, as Canada Geese fly in a much crisper formation than the American geese. ;) Well disciplined vermin, you might say. ;)