Howdy from Texas!

13 ROMEO

Hi, my name is Ed. I'm new to everything! My wife bought me a D7000 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 for Christmas,WHAT A GOOD WOMAN! I have a lot of learning to do. I have only had point and shoots before. Did ok with them but I wanted more. I love outdoor stuff more than anything,nature,wildlife,cityscapes.I am sure I will take a lot of indoor people pics. But it will be used by me mostly outdoor. I am a noob to this I KNOW NOTHING AT ALL,so I will be asking a lot of questions I hope you all can help me with.:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance
Ed

BackdoorArts

Welcome, Ed!! The D7000 was my first DSLR after going as far as I could with my point and shoots. It's a lot of camera, and can get a little confusing, so take your time and learn it as best as you can. That means reading the manual and taking lots of photos - rejoicing in your triumphs and learning from the mistakes. Play around, vary settings and see what a little of this and a little of that can do as you change things. As helpful as I found the manual, it's very dry and really requires the camera to be in one hand and the book in the other, and lots of page flipping since every menu option seems to refer you back to another page where the rest of it is explained. I found Darrell Young's book Mastering the Nikon D7000 to be a wonderful alternative. It is a detailed walk through the menu system, explaining what everything is, what the various options really mean, and best of all it gives you some recommended settings for specific circumstances, or the first time user. In the meantime, when you get frustrated just stick that sucker in Program Mode (P - automatic) and shoot some photos.

And if you get stuck, this is a great place to admit it and seek out some advice.

And here's to great wives!!

Mike150

Welcome Ed,
Wow Your wife's a keeper. I have to beg my wife for enough money to put gas in HER car.

Check your area for Camera Clubs. Most clubs have little education sessions on different topics. Also, check your local Community College for photography classes.

mr2_serious

Yeah, I second the camera clubs. Easiest way to find one is through WWW.meetup.com

I've joined like 7 groups and there is usually one meetup per month depending which group you are a member of.

Nikonites.com, meet ups, and college photography class has helped me grow a lot this year. I'll take any advice I can get.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ruidoso Bill

Welcome to Nikonites Ed, from your next door neighbor in NM! Congrats on that new camera and software. Lots of good helpful folks here so hang around, ask some questions and learn.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome aboard Ed, the D7000 is a very nice tool and the user's manual is it's best friend to learn with. There are also a lot of videos on the net that show basic operations.

Enjoy your Nikon!