Wireless Trigger and TTL Flash

Cowboybillybob1

Are there any wireless shutter release that will work with a TTL flash properly. It would also be good it you can auto focus with it as well.

Around $100 USD would be affordable.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Check with Amazon or your local photo store. I bought "Aputure" remote for my D700 last year but haven't tried it TTL settings. With flash, being old school, I almost always go manual. Does not take long to look at the results and then make corrections.

suvlady

I bought the ML-L3 from my local camera store. It was $34.95, but I found them way cheaper on Amazon. It was a learning experience. It works great with the TTL Flash. I have the Speedlight SB-600 and I use the Gary Fong diffuser sometimes also. Give it a try!

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

I got the ML-L3 today and it works great. I did not realize it uses the Auto Focus before the shutter is released. I use a tripod for the long shutter speeds so I don't need the flash. TTL is not an issue with the flash then.
The tripod is a cheap one but it holds the camera steady enough for what I am using it for. I will put them through a great test at Christmas dinner.

By the way I see you bought both lenses you were thinking of. How do you like them so far?

suvlady

Glad to see you got the ML-L3. I've been having some fun with that. I got the Wifi adapter for a present tonight. Pretty cool what you can do with that. I used the 32mm lens tonight. It seemed to work well but I'm going to have to adjust my exposure a bit since things looked a little washed out. I was shooting on P mode with the SB-600 and my Gary Fong. The 50mm lens worked well the other night, but I haven't had much time to experiment yet. This is the first Christmas with our (2) 9 month old Shih-tzu puppies, so I'm having great fun trying to catch a good shot of them.

I also got a couple of photography books. Hopefully, they will help me grasp how all of this is supposed to work. This hobby is getting expensive. I might have to try and figure a way to shoot for money.

Good luck with your Christmas dinner shooting. I'm anxious to hear how things work out.

Merry Christmas!

The remote control and the iTTL are two different issues not related.
Using iTTL on camera or with the built in flash is not an issue unless you want portrait orientation ...BUT if you want the flash remote then its a whole new ball game ...remote iTTL trigger is very expensive but cables are cheaper .

made me laught the guy who said he does flash in manual ...right folks just hold the wedding while I mess with the flash settings ...got technology ..use it !!

Cowboybillybob1

The flash I am using is a Sunpak D3000. Inexpensive so there are no adjustments at all available. On and Off is your only option. It does ,however, interact with the camera with TTL as it adjusts the amount of flash as needed.

The D3200 has built in infrared which the ML-L3 provides. Other remotes with more features require a receiver attached to the camera's hot shoe. This now makes my cheapo flash non-TTL.

The cable option is a no go because the flash is now stand alone has no adjustments available. Not that I know enough about it to know what those adjustments should be.

This is fun but getting expensive. I'll make due with what I have now.