macro lens shopping ideas

ideacipher

I was looking at the Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8. I have the 12-24 and fell in love with this brand. I like the reach of the 100mm and it will be a great lens for portraits as well.

Types of shots I would take with this lens: A lot of Close ups and occasional portraits. I still think of my 50 as the goto portrait lens but I'll give it a shot if I get the Tokina.

The build and focus ring has me hooked on these lenses

Rick M

The Nikon 60mm 2.8g might be a good option for Dx also. With the crop you'll be at 90mm which would be great for portraits. I'm looking at the nikon 105 for Fx.

stmv

Go for it, looks like a beautiful lens, at a reasonable price. about 250 dollars cheaper then the Nikkor 105.

The other consideration would be a used 105 ED versoon, used about 350-400 dollars.

I use the Nikkor 105 manual Nikkor Micro, just because when I am shooting macro, I like to control my focus, and
this is a beautiful lens. Amazingly, this lens is still made today for around 780 dollars, used these are around 350.

If I was needing to replace the 105 manual, your choice would be on the list.

Belo

Go for it, looks like a beautiful lens, at a reasonable price. about 250 dollars cheaper then the Nikkor 105.

The other consideration would be a used 105 ED versoon, used about 350-400 dollars.

I use the Nikkor 105 manual Nikkor Micro, just because when I am shooting macro, I like to control my focus, and
this is a beautiful lens. Amazingly, this lens is still made today for around 780 dollars, used these are around 350.

If I was needing to replace the 105 manual, your choice would be on the list.

The Tokina or the Sigma?

Fred Kingston_RIP

I was looking at the Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8. I have the 12-24 and fell in love with this brand. I like the reach of the 100mm and it will be a great lens for portraits as well.

Types of shots I would take with this lens: A lot of Close ups and occasional portraits. I still think of my 50 as the goto portrait lens but I'll give it a shot if I get the Tokina.

The build and focus ring has me hooked on these lenses

I have that lens... I tend to leave it on the camera more than I should... :D

It's a very nice lens...

Dave_W

The Dude
I have the 105mm Nikkor and love it. Great lens albeit a bit on the heavy side. I used to own the 105mm f/2.8D and although I think the G lens is slightly better with the VR capabilities, the D lens much smaller and can be purchased fairly cheaply these days.

Belo

Just got back with my new Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

Blown away with the initial pics. Will have some fun tomorrow.......

Belo

Now I'm Jealous! Enjoy and show us lots of pics!

Rick this is my first attempt, it was pretty windy so I battled to get good focus.

VIS_0541.jpg

VIS_0544.jpg

ideacipher

OK so I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Tokina 100. But have another question to throw out there. I'm also interested in shooting not only close ups but larger than 1:1.

So I'm shopping for extension tubes as well. I like the price of the Vivitar VIV-EXT-N and they look like they would support all the lenses I have except the Tokina 12-24 of course. Anyone using these tubes? There is the Kenkos as well but they are a bit more pricey and seem to have the same rants.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
OK so I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Tokina 100. But have another question to throw out there. I'm also interested in shooting not only close ups but larger than 1:1.

So I'm shopping for extension tubes as well. I like the price of the Vivitar VIV-EXT-N and they look like they would support all the lenses I have except the Tokina 12-24 of course. Anyone using these tubes? There is the Kenkos as well but they are a bit more pricey and seem to have the same rants.

Just remember that with extension tubes you will loose light, a lot of light the longer the tube is.

WhiteLight

Been doing a lot of research & i am looking to buy one too in the near future.
Have my eyes set on the 105mm Nikon & also the R1C1 macro flash system

TieuNgao

I always wanted to buy the Nikon AF-S 105mm VR but I finally settled for the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro when it was on sale last Black Friday for less than 1/2 price of the Nikon. I'm quite happy with the Tamron, especially regarding sharpness and color (even though it doesn't have VR and an internal motor). The only thing I don't like is the working distance in macro mode, it's too close to the object.
I heard that Tokina 100mm is also a very good lens and much cheaper than the Nikon and Sigma.

ideacipher

Just remember that with extension tubes you will loose light, a lot of light the longer the tube is.

I will probably use the tubes mostly with the 50 1.8 and maybe the 55-200 a little just to see what happens. I have a homemade snoot that I use on the SB-600 and that thing can put out a ton of light when needed directed right at the front of the lens. Plus I can always go off camera with the speedlight and command from camera to get different lighting options.

I've started looking at the old Nikon 105 2.8 D's. If I can find one of those used in the right price range I may have to choose that over the Tokina.That is a sweet lens if it is found in good condition. I've used the 60mm and they have about the best build I have ever seen. To bad the G lenses have so much plastic.

ideacipher

I got a set of Vivitar's and really impressed with them. The 50mm is super clear with all three attached but the focus plane is crazy close so close even the snoot is over shooting it. The 55-200 kit is also a lot of fun and the snoot and even the on camera flash work great. I was expecting a cheep set that didn't lock in but they lock into place and have metal mounts on both sides. All exposure functions work with this set but I haven't tried AF. It drives AF fine but I move the camera more then focusing so far and I always manual focus closeups even before the tubes. No stuck lenses and no issue on flexing (mostly light lenses).