Help with focusing

lucky

Hi Everyone

The Nikon D7000 is my first ever camera, i bought it with the Nikkor 105mm macro lens and the Sigma 17-70 macro HSM.

As you can imagine, i have not a clue how to use this camera, the main problem i am having is focusing, i manually focus, but i can only focus on one item on the live view screen, but what i am trying to do is focus sharply on everything i point the camera at, i hope you all can understand what i mean.

I was told by someone that i need to change my F stop to 12-20 and this would allow me to fully focus and not have blurred edges, but i don't know how to do any of this.

Is anyone able to take a few minutes of their time, and tell me and give me directions of exactly what i need to do please.

Rick M

I think you might want to leave it in Auto until you have a chance to read/learn the manual. There are several auto-focus modes which will help. F stop refers to depth of field which helps increase the focal plane, but you will not always have everything outside of your primary subject in focus.

Mike150

I agree 100% with Rick, read that manual while shooting in Auto with Autofocus turned on. Call it instant gratification. Also, do a google search for Depth of Field There are lots of good web pages and videos that will demonstrate that for you. Also, while experimenting in Auto, look at the EXIF data the camera selects. This will give you some good starting points

Moab Man

Like the others said, read the manual. But, I would add that you consider purchasing the Blue Crane Introduction to the Nikon D7000. I purchased it for my D5100 and it was great instruction to compliment the manual.

Dave_W

The Dude
I agree with all the posters urging you to read the manual. I would also suggest reading a book on the D7000. My favorite is "Mastering the D7000" by Darrel Young. Not only does he describe all the attributes of the camera, he also gives you his recommendations and his reason for choosing that setting. It will get you up to speed fairly quickly.

Kias

Put the top dial on "A" then rotate the front dial until the number that is changing on the screen says 22 (or whatever number you want.)

That answers your question directly. The only problem is you might run into other problems if you do that.

I too just got a D7000 with the Sigma 17-70mm a few days ago. However, I spent the previous 9 months studying heavily about basic SLR photography technique. Now I know enough to know I know nothing. :cool:

The camera manual is your friend.

Darrell Young's Mastering the Nikon D7000 is your good friend.

Google is your best friend ever!

Try googling terms like, "F Stop" and "Depth of Field" and "Exposure Triangle" and "Basic SLR Photography" then if you see a term you don't understand while reading that, google it!

As others have mentioned, put the camera in Auto and shoot away while you're learning. Instant Gratification! But do realize that camera is capable of so much more! There are things I thought I would never understand, and now, three days later, it's starting to come naturally while I shoot.

If you put the time and effort into learning the basics, then time and effort into the learning the specific camera, you will be rewarded!

Moab Man

Now I know enough to know I know nothing. :cool:
That's how I feel now with my D5100. Now that I took my life preserver off (auto mode) the deeper I wade into the water the more I realize I can't swim (manual). The people here are a great help.

lucky

Thanks for all the replies.

I have had the camera for 6 months now and have been mainly using it in Auto and i can take some great shots, but they are all still blurred around the edges, only focusing on the main object, but i would still like everything in the backround to be in focus also, like i see with pictures others take. I have read the manual a few times and cannot find any info that helps with this issue.

I have Nikon D7000 for dummies also, and nothing in there.

I will do some more searches and hopefully find something with some instructions.

Thanks for all the help and fast replies.

lucky

Put the top dial on "A" then rotate the front dial until the number that is changing on the screen says 22 (or whatever number you want.)

That answers your question directly. The only problem is you might run into other problems if you do that.
Yes, did indeed run in to another problem, there is about a 5 second delay for shutter release after pressing the button, so the whole picture comes out blurred.

Now all hold up or this guy will never get it right ...Always use it in P mode to start with . Set your focus to AF-S ( look in the manual) set the auto iso to 400-6400 min shutter to 1/30......then you should be fine ..put the single square in the centre on the item of main interest and half press .. re frame and fully press ..will be fine....
If you want depth of field the use A for aperture mode ( not A for auto) set for F11 and other settings as above . remember you must set menu to what you want for each positon of the dial they dont transfer from one to the other .
I have about 30,000 shots on my two D7000 this year so just ask and it shall be told unto you