D7000, Manual mode, exposure metering reading

bhaskarv87

Hi I have Nikon D7000. I was exploring manual mode in my camera I need some clarification regarding exposure meter reading in the camera.

I my trying to shoot Subject can camera meter shows bar towards + sign(overexposed) at Shutter speed of 1/4, F=5, ISO=400. So I'm trying to make meter reading to make it middle by adjusting exposure meter button (+/-). As far as understood metering mode for the above conditions as meter is showing bar towards + sign , I'm making exposure correct by pressing exposure meter button. But what i have observed is, when i press towards + sign , meter bar is going to zero. Shouldn't be by pressing towards - sign my exposure should go to middle(right exposure).

In this case I'm seeing exactly going opposite direction. Could you someone clarify my doubt, I'm not sure it is camera problem or some setting problem.

-Bhaskar

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You DON'T make correct exposure by adjusting the +/- meter button while changing setting with main commander (thumb wheel). You make correct manual exposure by changing shutter speed (main command) and/or sub-command wheel (front one). You do adjust these until the camera meter bar goes to the middle.

If you're just talking about the side the indication is going, you can invert it through custom menu. Custom<F controls 12<reverse indicators.

bhaskarv87

Thank you Marcel.As per your reply so I understand we should correct exposure by adjusting shutter speed(Front wheel) and Aperture(sub-command) till correct exposure camera shows.

Nope I was taking about exposure not indication. I'm aware that we can reverse the indication.

Could you please let then when +/- button is used. I thought it would be used to adjust overexposed or underexposed by adjusting correctly.

stmv

the +- is for auto mode, for when you want to compensate the exposure to under or overexpose what would be the default correct exposure, due to photo conditions,

but

when shooting manual,, well, shoot manual which means, controlling the amount of light reaching the sensor by either changing the hole in the lens (aperature), or the speed of the shutter.

I shoot Manual 98% of the time, but I am an old nikkor film guy starting with the FM.