D300 vs. D80 Color Rendition

Stangman98

For any of you that have used both of these bodies what are your thoughts? I know that the D300 is closer to a pro body, but I have to tell ya, I love the color rendition that I get with my D80. I don't think the D300 comes close a lot of the time when I am doing nature shots. Anyone else experienced this?

AC016

You are talking about two different sensors. The D300 has a CMOS, while the D80 has a CCD. I don't beleive it has anything to do with one being a "pro" body and the other not so much. With my D5100 and D80, i clearly see the difference. But again, one is CMOS and the other is CCD.

stmv

ah,, the D80 sensor, last of the Nikon high end CCD sensors! Yes, my wife has my old D80, and I am thinking of "upgrading" her camera to get back the D80! The D80 does take vibrant pictures, and I did think my D300, and even D700 had less vibrancy.

Funny, but the D7000, and D800 have returned a bit of that look. Almost like Nikon itself recognized that something was lost.

of course, shoot in raw, and take total control of the look,, so, matters less.

I sometimes think of getting a used D200 (has the CCD sensor also).

Stangman98

I know it has to do with the sensors. Thank Ya. I always shoot in RAW on both bodies. I just love the out of camera color on the D80. Don't think I will ever get rid of the D80

stmv

That is the beauty of the gear now, you can decide which camera to use by the size of the print size. So, unless you are printing beyound 11x14, the D80 is perfect, The D80 starts to run out of steam at poster size prints, but even those, are fine. People get carried away with pixels.

While I have a D800, I love my D700 with a 12 million pixel sensor, I have printed onto 3x4 canvas with total satisfaction.

Its the picture that counts with the right exposure, and focus.

Stangman98

That is the beauty of the gear now, you can decide which camera to use by the size of the print size. So, unless you are printing beyound 11x14, the D80 is perfect, The D80 starts to run out of steam at poster size prints, but even those, are fine. People get carried away with pixels.

While I have a D800, I love my D700 with a 12 million pixel sensor, I have printed onto 3x4 canvas with total satisfaction.

Its the picture that counts with the right exposure, and focus.

Could not agree more. I think that with some of the older equipment it also proves that you can take great photos. You don't have to have a $3000 body and $2000 lens to take a great photo.