Does the focus stay the same if I zoom out?

navy80

Hi,

I was wondering whether the focus stays the same if I zoom out. In other words, if I zoom in in order to focus precisely on a object (55mm) and then zoom out and take a photo (18mm).

thanks,
Ivan

Moab Man

Your focus is going to change. You can do this on the D5100 so I suspect you can on the D3100. 1. Set you zoom where you want it 2. Go to a live view on your LCD 3. Increase magnification of the area you want to be in focus 4. Adjust your focus for that magnified area 5. Snap the picture

Magnifying it on the LCD will not change focus. Moving the glass of the lenses in and out will.

Robert Mitchell

Hi Ivan,

If you want to focus precisely, whether auto or manual, you're going to want to focus at the focal length you'll be using for the shot. Some lenses will give better results than others but it's best not to trust or rely on the focus being as accurate after zooming.

stmv

with some lens, with separate controlls of focus zoom, it stays mostly in focus, and more of a tolerance issue, so still good idea to fine tune focus at the end. Even with push/pull zooms, the focus stays pretty consistant and can be taken advantage of when doing zoom technique during long exposure.

Robert Mitchell

with some lens, with separate controlls of focus zoom, it stays mostly in focus, and more of a tolerance issue, so still good idea to fine tune focus at the end. Even with push/pull zooms, the focus stays pretty consistant and can be taken advantage of when doing zoom technique during long exposure.

Unfortunately, mostly in focus just doesn't cut. At least not for me. :)

Robert Mitchell

It is minor but the answer to the OP's question is that it's not precise and should be adjusted. That's my only point here. I'm not disputing the degree of change.