Processing Pics from D3100

Xvector

Hello Folks. I hope i am posting this question in the right section, if not please let me know where to post.
I am using a D3100 with a Youngnuo speedlight.

I am still a beginner photographer and was hoping i can get some help as i am trying to process some of the pictures i took of a small corporate event in my companies atrium.

I am using ViewNX2 to process the picture and am just confused as to why the pictures are not coming out clear and sharp.

The question in specific is in the ViewNX2 screen wehen i move the size of the image to x1.0 which i assume should have it at the clearest i get a very distorted image. grainy would be the word. my data is below. I am shooting in M mode, and output is set to RAW+JPEG

ill goof around with some of the settings, usually crop the picture a bit to get rid of unwanted parts of the photo then output the picture into jpeg modes. the pictures are coming out very grainy...i was hoping someone could give me some input as to why that could be..

File Info 1
File: DSC_2796.NEF
Date Created: 12/7/2012 2:52:37 PM
Date Modified: 12/6/2012 12:21:16 PM
File Size: 15.1 MB
Image Size: L (4608 x 3072)
File Info 2
Date Shot: 12/6/2012 12:21:13.20
Time Zone and Date: UTC-5, DST:ON
Image Quality: Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Artist:
Copyright:
Image Comment:
Camera Info
Device: Nikon D3100
Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 46mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 3D
VR: ON
AF Fine Tune:
Exposure
Aperture: F/8
Shutter Speed: 1/60s
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Comp.: +1.3EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (1.3EV over 3200)
Flash
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Flash Exposure Comp.:
Colored Filter:
Image Settings
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: Auto
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: ON
Picture Control
Picture Control: [LS] Landscape
Base: [LS] Landscape
Quick Adjust: 0
Sharpening: 4
Contrast: Active D-Lighting
Brightness: Active D-Lighting
Saturation: 0
Hue: 0
Filter Effects:
Toning:
GPS
Latitude:
Longitude:
Altitude:
Altitude Reference:
Heading:
UTC:
Map Datum:

Xvector

Hey well i will sharpen it before i convert the file, but i am talking at a point where i have done anything to the picture at all - its full raw...when i go in at x1.0 its totally distorted...can anyone tell me how i can u pload a file i can share the original nef.

Xvector

by the way what i am reading on line most people are pointing to too high of an ISO. i gooogled ISO settings for indoors and usually people are recomending iso 400 or so. When i look at my meta data, i have ISO set to AUTO shooting in M...but it look like for some reason the camera is shoointg ISO Sensitivity: Auto (1.3EV over 3200) - doesnt that seem way to high?

3200 Will look grainy with the 3200. Also they shot will look soft in RAW. You have to sharpen it in Post processing. The JPEG should look better with no processing. IF you look at some shots I did earlier with my 3200 you should see the effect of ISO. http://nikonites.com/d3100/6515-iso-testing.html hover over each shot and you will be able to tell what ISO it was shot with. starts at 100 iso and goes up from there.

Be sure to check out the last set. It shows a enlarged section from the 1st set.

Last edited:

fotojack

First off, I'm wondering why you would shoot in Manual mode, when your camera has all that technology packed into it. Shoot in Aperture Mode and let the camera do most of the work for you. Second.....yeah, ISO 3200 is a bit high! ;)
Now....having said that....was there a lot of light in the atrium? If so, ISO 200 would be plenty. Third...did you use a tripod? If not....why not? A tripod would eliminate the camera shake and fuzzy pictures you said you got. By the way, when shooting with a tripod, turn off the VR function on your AF-S lenses. VR is for hand held shots.

So....look up the settings in your camera and make some changes, under the Custom Settings menu. All the info for making those changes is in your owners manual.

fotojack

By the way, while I'm at it here, I have a number of camera setup pdf's if anyone is interested, for many Nikon models. Unfortunately, I can only send them to whoever wants one via email, as it's not possible to send them through the forum.....yet. :) Here's one for the D200 for instance

Picture.jpg

dragion

By the way, while I'm at it here, I have a number of camera setup pdf's if anyone is interested, for many Nikon models. Unfortunately, I can only send them to whoever wants one via email, as it's not possible to send them through the forum.....yet. :)

Jack,

I'm interested.
Please email me one for the D3100 if you have it.

[email protected]

Thanks for sharing! :)

RockyNH_RIP

By the way, while I'm at it here, I have a number of camera setup pdf's if anyone is interested, for many Nikon models. Unfortunately, I can only send them to whoever wants one via email, as it's not possible to send them through the forum.....yet. :) Here's one for the D200 for instance

Jack, thank you for the kind offer.... If you have one for the D5100, I would be interested. My email is [email protected]

Pat in NH

fotojack

Perhaps I should have listed the pdf's I do have, so there won't be any disappointments.

D4, D3X, D3S, D3, D2X, D40, D70, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300S, D700, D800, D7000

I have NO idea why most of these ended up being in red fonts, so just ignore that aspect. :)

Last edited: