Sigma and Tamron lens (night sky shots)

rocknride814

I need a lens for nighttime shots and my AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/ 1.8G did not provide the wide enough angle I had hoped for. After using an actual wide angle lens (only has 3.5 max aperture) I came to conclude I need a lens (with a 1.8-2.8 aperture) with a focal length of between 10-24mm. Nikon does not make one that is under $750 for DX format.

So I checked out some Sigma and Tamron lens. I know the quality is lower (made of cheaper plastic and what not), but I am not going to be out too often taking night sky shootings (once a month or so). Think it is worth trying these lens, or do they really have a history of braking down?

Philip

nikonpup

i have shot the big dipper with my sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 and was pleased with the result. I have not tried for a galaxy shot yet.
Try renting lens, i would think san diego would a camera shop that would rent for a weekend.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I need a lens for nighttime shots and my AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/ 1.8G did not provide the wide enough angle I had hoped for. After using an actual wide angle lens (only has 3.5 max aperture) I came to conclude I need a lens (with a 1.8-2.8 aperture) with a focal length of between 10-24mm. Nikon does not make one that is under $750 for DX format.

NOT true. Ever considered the Nikon 10.5 mm f2.8 DX fisheye lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300487-USA/Nikon_2148_10_5mm_f_2_8G_ED_DX.html

Last edited:

eurotrash

I need a lens (with a 1.8-2.8 aperture) with a focal length of between 10-24mm.

I shoot galaxy shots with a 16-85. That lens has a max aperture of 3.5 too. Does just fine, and I actually prefer it. My 50mm 1.4 comes out when I've got to handhold. You are correct, Nikon doesn't make one for DX under $750. If you're not shooting regularly at night, a purchase of $500+ has to be thought about. Also, is going with Sigma or Tamron worth the risk/investment? Is it worth it for YOU? Nikonpup has it right, go rent some lenses and then you'll know what you need and if it's worth it for ya.