Filter advice

bgatty68

Can somebody please advise me on the use of filters as I am new to photography and would like to know about a few points on filters.
1. Why are they used
2. what are the things to look for in a filter
3. Are some filters better than others
4. When to use a filter

I know theres a lot of questions but most people that talk about filters talk as if the other knows all about them, but what about a novice. Please can somebody enlighten me because Christmas is coming and I would like a filter from Santa:D

§am

It depend what kind of filters you are initially looking at and want advice on.

Basic, clear or UV filters are used by a lot of people as a 'protective' filter for the front of lenses, but there is a whole wide debate on their affect on IQ. Some will swear by them, others will advise against - I find it's a personal choice.

Then you get into polarising, circular, ND etc etc filters - again a whole host of info for the knowing, just depends what you want to know.

co2jae

I was looking at filters on amazon and was amazed at the variance in products. I wanted something to protect my lens and to filter my outdoor winter shots. I found filters anywhere from 5 bucks to over $100.Reading so many reviews just made my head spin. I settled on the Zeikos ZE-CPL67 67mm Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer Filter for about 8 bucks on sale. I know it's cheap but I dont have the money to experiment with expensive filters and I don't really have a clue yet how to use them. If all it does is protect my lens I will be happy. At a minimum, I will have a new aspect to play with on my camera which is easily worth the 8 bucks in entertainment and I will begin the learning process at an affordable cost. That said....if anyone wants to suggest a budget filter(s) for shooting outdoor sports in the winter I would love the input. P.S> Shooting with the 70-300 MM AF-S 4.5-5.6 VR Lens

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I am pretty certain you would not want to use a circ polarizer filter as a protective filter, it would be counter productive. As for protective filters, the Marumi brand makes filters that are easily equal to, or better than, B+W and other very high end filters makers and they do it at 1/3 of the price. They're a fairly new company in Japan but their products are receiving large praise. I keep a Super DHG on my 24-70mm when I'm shooting in misty or very dusty weather. That said, buy the best filter you can afford. No reason to buy good lenses if you plan to dumb them down with a sheet of inferior glass.

fotojack

Can somebody please advise me on the use of filters as I am new to photography and would like to know about a few points on filters.
1. Why are they used. "Filters are used to modify the incoming light in a variety of ways. They also are used to protect the front element of the lens in use."
2. what are the things to look for in a filter. "Quality of construction, thinness, coating on the filter (if any)."
3. Are some filters better than others. "Most definitely! Quality of glass used, coatings used, materials of filter used, etc."
4. When to use a filter. "At the discretion of the photographer.....to protect a lens.....to filter out unwanted glare.....to achieve a certain look to the photo......etc. The reasons are myriad."

I know there's a lot of questions but most people that talk about filters talk as if the other knows all about them, but what about a novice. Please can somebody enlighten me because Christmas is coming and I would like a filter from Santa:D

I've posted alongside your questions with answers that hopefully make sense to you.

Last edited:

bgatty68

Thanks fotojack nice answers and does help a bit, I might just do what co2jae done and look at some a cheap filter to mess about with.
Thanks Guys:D