Top-LCD Shot Remaining Estimator

lilfilboi123

Hi im new to this site and have a question about my d700. I have a 16gb card in slot 1 and a 2gb backup card in slot 2, and the setting is set to use the 1st slot until it runs out and overflows onto slot 2.

When i had a d90, when i eject the card, the top-LCD displays that there is no shots remaining since there isnt anywhere to save it on. But on my d7000, when i eject, the top-LCD does nothing, until i turn it on, and then it realizes there is no card in it. When i put it back, again, the top-LCD does nothing, until i turn it on and it goes back to show the shot remaining. is this normal?

also, i am on my 4000th or photo, and it starts saving on 106DSC folder. I cleared my 16gb memory card to make room for new photos, but the shot remaining estimator doesnt change. (stays at 36). i tried shooting continously until it went all the way down to 1, (and i knew there was more space since i just cleared the card) and after 1, it went to 99. and i think it would probably continue like that, but when i first got the card, i could put 1000 or more photos, and the numbers up 100s-900s would show and even 1.0k, but why is my card only going to 99 everytime?

Hi im new to this site and have a question about my d700. I have a 16gb card in slot 1 and a 2gb backup card in slot 2, and the setting is set to use the 1st slot until it runs out and overflows onto slot 2.

When i had a d90, when i eject the card, the top-LCD displays that there is no shots remaining since there isnt anywhere to save it on. But on my d7000, when i eject, the top-LCD does nothing, until i turn it on, and then it realizes there is no card in it. When i put it back, again, the top-LCD does nothing, until i turn it on and it goes back to show the shot remaining. is this normal?

also, i am on my 4000th or photo, and it starts saving on 106DSC folder. I cleared my 16gb memory card to make room for new photos, but the shot remaining estimator doesnt change. (stays at 36). i tried shooting continously until it went all the way down to 1, (and i knew there was more space since i just cleared the card) and after 1, it went to 99. and i think it would probably continue like that, but when i first got the card, i could put 1000 or more photos, and the numbers up 100s-900s would show and even 1.0k, but why is my card only going to 99 everytime?

OK! We need just a little clarification please, are you shooting with the D700 or the D7000?

§am

Under the assumption it's in the D7000 sub forum, and mentioned it again in his/her post as well, lets say D7000.

I don't have a D7000, but I think the camera does a storage space check on startup rather than when the card is inserted.
The folder storage will change name everytime you format the card (or wipe it), and there is a setting for that (I have a D5100 and you can set the numbering and folder naming options).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What kind of SD card do you use? It might be a sign of potential failure or data corruption.

In most cases, the estimated remaining shots are often not accurate. You'll end up with more shots available. I use Lexar and Sandisk brand SD cards. They are very reliable.

Under the assumption it's in the D7000 sub forum, and mentioned it again in his/her post as well, lets say D7000.

I don't have a D7000, but I think the camera does a storage space check on startup rather than when the card is inserted.
The folder storage will change name everytime you format the card (or wipe it), and there is a setting for that (I have a D5100 and you can set the numbering and folder naming options).

Never ever assume anything!:cool:

stmv

holy cow,, shoot in raw/jpeg, and empty your card often! its just good practice

1. cards fail

2. keeps your work organized

3. file and document while pictures are fresh

don't use your camera as a storage device, but a picture taking device. because I have
had flash fail in the camera,, and you will be so so sad.

One of the advantage of dual slots, is to have a dual save. Any photo op where I am
being paid, then I use the dual slot save to insure against a flash card failure.

when just out shooting for fun, I leave it in overflow mode, but now with the 32G cards, rarely ever overflow to the second card, in fact on the D7000, never, but again, I dump off the card after EVERY photo shoot.

eurotrash

Firstly, format BOTH cards in-camera.
Then:

Have you tried shooting with simply the 2GB card in the first slot to see if that changes anything?
How about trying to reverse the cards and see if that does the same thing?
Basic troublshooting, but it could point the finger at a faulty card or another type of problem.

I know my D7000 always shows the remaining shots when a card is in any slot, regardless if the camera is off.

mashburn

I would worry about it. mine does the same thing.

now the only thing I will say is to format your cards before you start taking shots. BUT......make sure you save pictures to your computer that you want. once you format the card, everything on that card is gone.

as for when your card goes from 1 to 99. I am thinking that is when it starts using the second memory.
- now if you are wondering why it is just 99 on a 2gb card, then I would look at settings for the second memory card. because you can make one card do RAW and the second do JPEG. I have a feeling your second card is set to raw/jpeg+fine.