Sb 400

jonritter

I'd like people's opinion on the SB400 I have a d5100 am an amateur, I take pics of random things and people.

Is that a good choice for me?

nikonpup

i have a 5100 and sb400. Sb400 is a left over from film days. Most shots needing flash, the on-board flash is sufficent for my work. If you find you need more flash the sb400 is a place to start. Using flash correctly is another art to be learned. You can
find some good information on-line.

TedG954

I have an SB400 and it works well. It is the least expensive of the Nikon flashes and I recommend it for you and I as amateurs. Like the 'pup said, on-board is generally enough. I only bought the SB400 so I could bounce light off the ceiling.

vindex1963

I think the SB-400 is good for bounce/fill flash but is pretty weak for much else. If your going to use it for a direct flash just stick with the on board flash. I have an SB-400 and an SB-600 and to me the 400 is pretty much useless.

jonritter

What are some cost comparable alternatives? I have seen a lot of different reviews, but I don't see a conclusive answer. I appreciate all the replies.

Jon

§am

I have the SB400 and it's great for bounce flash work off the ceiling.
Turn your camera to the side though, and you lose that functionality immediately :(

I think the SB400 is better than the onboard flash though, as it sits a little higher so eliminates shadows from longer lenses or hoods that some people see.

Price wise - it's a great little flash.

vindex1963

I think the SB-400 is good for bounce/fill flash but is pretty weak for much else. If your going to use it for a direct flash just stick with the on board flash. I have an SB-400 and an SB-600 and to me the 400 is pretty much useless.

What are some cost comparable alternatives? I have seen a lot of different reviews, but I don't see a conclusive answer. I appreciate all the replies.

Jon

In my experience that pretty much sums it up.

slowpoke

I own and use the SB400.I added an inexpensive Flash cord and now I can bounce the flash off anything.The SB400 is a good close range flash.Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator: