howdy Y'all I just got a D7000 and need help.

mashburn

I purchased a D7000 with looking at reviews and talking to people on what I will be doing.

well now I am lost on how to use it properly. I hate shooting in automatic. yet I do like the Auto Focus usually.

I have a Nikkor lens AF 50MM 1:1.8 D
- this is my favorite for doing self portraits.
I also have a Nikkor AF 80-200MM 1:4.5-5.6 D
- I use this in sports to get close up, but the quality is not a fan for me.

I know that MM is what the zoom is. but when is the zoom too much and will get grainy?
I know what !:1.8 is the F? correct? I know how to use this some but not correctly, just 'cause I do not know when I lower my F what should I change also?
does the AF stand for auto focus?

Does anyone know a good place or can explain to me on how and when to use F/Aperture/ISO? (ISO really loses me)

I really want a good wide angle lens. I am thinking of a Tokina 11-16 Pro DX2. I am sure if that is a good one and what all it means. Also I am unsure if I would need to have a zoom, and think I would rather have a lowest MM as possible. I think 11-16 would be good for me.
- but when I looked at DX, I think that is what I need for D7000. But I have seen FX. (what does FX and DX mean? does my camera have FX? I think it does not, and if it does not, then do I need to stay away from FX lenses?)

I look forward to hearing from you all and also with sharing photos and you all critiquing my work and tell me what I should and should not do.
- I have a great eye on what shot to get.....just I stink right now on the most important part of ISO/f/etc. LOL
--- but this stuff can be learned. it is harder to teach someone what shot to go after.

ok thanks,
Jonathan Mashburn

Last edited by a moderator:

mr2_serious

Wow, I think you might or should have done a little bit more research...hehe. you are asking for a lot.

Having a 50mm, there is no zoom. It is a set focal length. If you want to capture, say, a whole person then you will have to step back. If you want just a head shot then you will have to walk forward(closer).
If you had a zoom lens like the 18-55mm, that would require no manual zooming(walking) because you can just turn the lens and get your preferred shot.

I hope a covered that part a bit.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Tami Jo

Welcome to Nikonites! Congratulations on your new Nikon. One thing I am going to recommend it read your manual from cover to cover. It will really help answer many of the questions you have and are sure to have in the near future. With the two above lenses referenced you should be set for awhile. Take your time learning your new camera and eventually you will know what additional lenses to add. There are so many lenses out there though and choosing can be a bit difficult. Ask lots of questions if you are unsure. The 50 f/1.8 is a prime lens which is a fixed focal length. The 80-200 is your zoom lens. That is a nice zoom range. It should really help you get close to your subject when you can not move close enough. If you are shooting in manual mode you must set the f stop/aperture, the shutter speed and the ISO. If you are still unclear of what each of these do try using A mode which is aperture priority. That means you choose just the aperture and the camera choose the proper shutter speed and ISO. You can also try using S mode which is shutter priority. That means you choose the shutter speed and the camera chooses the aperture and ISO. Manual mode means you do all of it. There are many videos on you tube. Search for topics you are wanting additional information on and you will find a vast sea of them. Some are quite helpful while others not so much. This forum is also a great place to learn. I also recommend searching through the D7000 thread here. http://nikonites.com/d7000/ You will find that very helpful. Read read read, eventually it will become less foreign. There are many great books out there full of information to help you. Try Mastering the D7000 first. You are sure to receive many recommendations but that is an excellent place to begin.
It's a fantastic camera. I Love mine!

Last edited:

pedroj

Don't forget to read your manual, there is some great information in it....

Google and you tube can be very helpful

A lot of the things you want to know are in here...

Nikonites FAQ

mashburn

wow thanks for replying so fast. I never knew a manual would be helpful. I will start reading it during the holidays.

Thanks everyone

Eye-level

Banned
Hello Jonathan...I think you are in the right place! Don't be afraid to start a daily thread and show us your snaps. You will find people to help you with it all on this board.

mashburn

thanks eye-level.

I am impressed with the fast replies and pouring out of help. cannot wait until I become an average Photographer so I can help on things.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

D12345678

You've certainly bought the right camera, the D7000 is fantastic. Everyone will have advice for you, but apart from that Tokina lens, the two main pieces of advice I can offer is to set the program dial to P and leave it there till you get used to the camera and the second piece of advice is to read this..... Nikon D7000 User's Guide

fotojack

Jon....MM means millimeter. Try this.......look at the top right corner of your camera. You should see a little circle with a straight line through it. When the mm of a lens is mentioned they're referring to the distance from that little circle with the line through it to the farthest lens of that particular lens. The little circle with the line through it represents the surface of the sensor. So...the distance from the sensor to the outermost lens is the lens's millimeter. :)

DSC_1489.JPG

Last edited:

eurotrash

FYI, that little icon is also the exact plane at which the sensor resides inside your camera. (the more you know! can be helpful for macro photography and distance predictions)

Manuals aren't terribly helpful, though in photography they are your best friend.

My honest advice is to shoot with your kit lens or whatever lens you have currently. Then, after awhile, what you NEED will become evident. Do you shoot lots of people? Perhaps an 85mm prime is in your future. Do you do lots of sports and birds? Look into telephoto glass. How about architecture? Wide angle is the way to roll. Knowing WHAT you're going to shoot has the most importance in what lenses you acquire.

eurotrash

You might not think zooms are important, but let me tell you. Some of the best glass I ever bought were zooms because they can make or break important shots. If I had to switch lenses to get some of
those shots, I'd have a lot of missed opportunities.. Just because zooms are typically slower than primes doesn't mean you should discount them off the bat. They're extremely useful tools and a lot are just incredible in the image quality department.