24-70/2.8 or 17-55/2.8 - DX Format

unlvgrad03

I originally was looking at the 24-70 lens as my next lens, i hear it is an awesome portrait and all around lens. However as I read more about it I find recommendations to get the 17-55 lens if your using a DX format (I have a D5100) body.

Also what are your thoughts on the Tamron 17-55?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I originally was looking at the 24-70 lens as my next lens, i hear it is an awesome portrait and all around lens. However as I read more about it I find recommendations to get the 17-55 lens if your using a DX format (I have a D5100) body.

Also what are your thoughts on the Tamron 17-55?

If you don't have any plans to go FX, the 17-55mm f2.8 DX will serve you well for medium range zoom lens. However, the 24-70mm f2.8, which I own is much sharper but not wide enough for DX users.

Tamron is ok. Less sharp, lighter, cheaper, slower focusing and a little annoying when it tries to focus due to the noise it creates. It is not as instant as the 24-70mm.

pedroj

I bought myself the 28-70mm F2.8 second hand, I'm very pleased with the way it performs on my D300

If I find that it's not wide enough I put in portrait and take a set of 3 or 4 images and stitch them together..