My first wedding shoot!

petevoo

This saturday the 17th. I am attending my aunts friends wedding. Her friend already has a professional photographer for the whole day but is allowing me to shoot some photos to build a profile of my own and blog. This is a great opportunity for me to learn more about photography and definitely to learn more about my camera. The event is an indoor wedding, I was wondering what would be the best settings to get great pictures and exposures. I appreciate you guys taking your time to read this and I can't wait to read all the responses :)

fotojack

Congrats on the opportunity. Make the most of it. :)

Do you have a good flash? I recommend the SB700. How about a tripod, or a monopod? Use it if ya got it! :) Flash diffuser? Lots of memory cards? What lenses do you have to work with? I've shot weddings using nothing but an 18-55 and an 18-105! For indoors, I recommend faster glass, such as a 35mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.8.

Good luck on the shoot. :)

SteveH

I've never shot a wedding, but I've read a lot of posts like this one, and one bit of advice (In addition to Jack's sound input!) that always gets said is to see if you get access to the venue before the event, so you can see how it is arranged, and more importantly, how much light is available.... Maybe even take some shots a few days before so you can see what kit you're going to need..... Also, some churches don't allow flash, so always check in advance!

Good luck, since there is another photographer there that will take some pressure off so enjoy yourself! (And be sure to post the results!!)

Last edited:

Mike150

Just remember... The other photographer is the one getting Paid. Try your best not to get in his way.
I had agreed to shoot a friends wedding. The entire time I was having to fight off people who kept jumping up in front of me trying to get their shot.