D3100 + flash question (SB700)

kata_tutu

As still new to the camera. Want to find out if with the Nikon 700 flash, would you still get a very good result with the camera in auto mode.

Also someone attached a Canon flash to my camera to take a couple of pics to show the benefit of flash. Is it safe to assume no damage would have come to ny camera in trying a non-Nikon flash?

Last edited:

Mike150

Hey Kata.
Your SB-700 should work just fine in Auto mode. I often use mine that way. Just don't forget to experiment with aperture priority. Digital images are free so experimentation only costs you time. I've found that using my flash in shaded conditions outside really helps to bring out the picture. Indoors, try using the diffuser and tilting the flash upward some to even out the light.

Phillydog1958

Hey Kata.
Your SB-700 should work just fine in Auto mode. I often use mine that way. Just don't forget to experiment with aperture priority. Digital images are free so experimentation only costs you time. I've found that using my flash in shaded conditions outside really helps to bring out the picture. Indoors, try using the diffuser and tilting the flash upward some to even out the light.

Yes, bounce it off of the ceiling, rather than pointing directly at the subject.

§am

Agree with the advice about bouncing the flash off the ceiling, but one other piece of advice...
Do the straight on pointing it at your subject method too - you'll learn the differences better that way.

In fact with the SB-700 you can tilt it at varying angles, so try them all out :)

fotojack

As still new to the camera. Want to find out if with the Nikon 700 flash, would you still get a very good result with the camera in auto mode.

Also someone attached a Canon flash to my camera to take a couple of pics to show the benefit of flash. Is it safe to assume no damage would have come to my camera in trying a non-Nikon flash?

Do NOT let anyone attach anything to your camera that isn't specifically made for your camera! Canon and Nikon use different electronics. Canon flashes are not designed for Nikon cameras! There is always the possibility for damage when doing this! Again...NEVER let ANYONE fool around with your camera unless they are prepared to replace it should they damage it!