taking pics in gymnasium

Ruidoso Bill

Like Rick requested please post one of your pics. Basically you have two problems to overcome, first is the light, probably can't use flash plus even if you can it is not effective over any distance so what to do, open your lens up to allow the most light in ie if it goes down to f2.8 set it to f2.8. Increase the ISO to a higher number, you may be up to ISO 640 or 800 or even more to allow for a fast enough shutter speed which brings me to the Second, you will need a faster shutter speed to freeze the action but that won't happen if you can't get enough light on the camera sensor.

Rick M

You were at ISO1600 and the aperture was wide open at that focal length. Unfortunately, 1/80 wasn't fast enough. You could go with a higher ISO, but the bottom line is that lens is slow for what you are looking to accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruidoso Bill

It looks like you were fairly close with a 62 mm focal length and you're already shooting at ISO 1600, are you shooting in auto iso mode or do you have it set, I would suggest setting it manually if you're not already doing so. Not sure which lens you are using but if you can open it up to f3.5 you'll get a tad more light but you'll still need more since 1/80 isn't fast enough shutter to stop (freeze) the action. You may still need faster glass like one that stops to f1.8, that will allow you to get the shutter speed up. A prime lens like a 50mm f1.8 or a 85 f1.8 may be what you need as long as you can get close. That 2 stops will go a long way in solving your problem.

fotojack

I suggest you read the manual that came with your camera. It will explain what aperture is and f stops and everything else you need to know about your camera.

pedroj

I am not much of a reader, I guess I like to learn from others and post questions. I have taken some good shots with this camera but the gym was a challenge. I thought I would post on here and see what others thought and could help me out. I did take a class at the camera shop but it was beginner.

Your not much of a reader!!!!!If you want to be better I suggest you start reading...How may I ask you do you think we acquired our knowledge...

dozer

What are forums for, for someone to tell another to read the maual ?? I would bet that someone helped with with your camera and or what gear to buy. I am sorry I picked this forum to join and post my question. Please remove me from your forum and delete this silly thread.

pedroj

What are forums for, for someone to tell another to read the maual ?? I would bet that someone helped with with your camera and or what gear to buy. I am sorry I picked this forum to join and post my question. Please remove me from your forum and delete this silly thread.

I think you need pictures....Leave it as a learning tool....