Sorting pictures

ttmil

So I am looking for a way to sort through pictures quickly. I've taken a ton of sports pictures. I'd like to make some collages for the boys but don't want to take hours upon hours sorting per kid. So wondering if there is a way to search by say a football Jersey, since you can't see faces under the helmets? Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mike150

I was recently playing on my sister's computer. She has Picasa and uses the Facial recognition feature. I've never really played with it, but it might be worth a try. There are also some plug ins available for Lightroom if you're using that. Can't say I know of anything that sorts by shirt or helmet color.

Fred Kingston

Lightroom by Adobe... It allows you tag photos with a dozen different forms of meta data based on your own criteria... Stars, colors, etc...From that point forward, you can sort based on the meta data you've assigned.. Other than the face recognition feature previously mentioned...I don't know of anything that does any filtering without you proactively having done some previous tagging. Other than the face recognition, it's all just a bunch of pixels...:adoration:

ttmil

So in any of them if I tag them by say Jersey number rather than their face would it sort and group by that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fred Kingston

Actually, Adobe's Elements 10 may be a better fit for what you want... It's Organizer is probably more flexible in creating/adding descriptive tags... Think of a contact sheet representation of your photos... You can create a tag named Jersey23, etc... then simply "tag" the applicable images on the "contact sheet" and tap the pre-defined tag... It also uses the same stars rating and color metaphor as LR4...

Or you can create what LR4 calls a "Collection" named "Jersey23"... same as the tag in Elements10...

Once tagged... both programs allow you to perform actions (post processing) on the selected group of images... as well as on single images... helpful if you want to change the white balance on a group of images...

Both/either program will improve your workflow... Both are complex, and both have less than stellar manuals... Fortunately, the aftermarket book, and video learning markets have excellent resources... especially developed for the photographer in using these programs...