Fireworks... HELP!

Raymie

Can anyone give me advice on settings to capture Fireworks? I cant do the long exposures as I don't have any filters yet... I'm just after the ISO & Shutter speeds :)

Thanks.

Somersetscott

:rolleyes: there was almost another post asking this. I think if someone gives some advice we should post our pics on this thread after bonfire night.
:p

Somersetscott

Hi Sorry, been a busy bee.

I was unable to take the tripod along so for this year didn't get the snaps I perhaps wanted, embarressed girlfriend scenario :rolleyes:

But, I did have a play and the 'best of the bunch' were photos of friends - this couple in particular were pretty happy with these photos as they are living apart (long distance) as she has re-enrolled as a mature student to become a secondry school teacher.

firework night.JPGfirework night2.JPG

What a good night out it was, local beers, cider, food and or course a good group of friends. I did take quite a few more, but with friends children I'd rather not post, i'm sure they wouldnt mind but all the same I don't have permission.

How did you get on Raymie?

Raymie

I never did get out Scott :-( Far too wet if I recall... Yours turned out great though mate, B&W one is a goodun 8)

What camera you usin' ?

Somersetscott

Ah no! Unlucky, atleast theres next year :eek: it was bitterly cold but a very clear night down here.

It's a Nikon J1, I will be moving up to a DSLR next year.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Raymie

Nikon J1 are nice wee cameras Scott :) Any ideas as to what model of DSLR you're going for ? Me I started with a secondhand D70 then graduated to a D3100 (thanks to my Compaq pension paying off lol)

Here's my Flickr album, have a wee browse see what you think.

Flickr: big raymie's Photostream

Somersetscott

Cracking photos Raymie! - I see you've got an eye for urban photography. I seem to be attracted to churches, interesting how different they all are and the history of them.

V. nice, I'll be going for a D5100 or D7000 next I think - I am learning loads from my J1, just could have got a better priced piece of kit if I hadn't have cared about looks and size so much at the point of buying. Prior to this I had a fujifilm bridge camera (it was really good too, although very 'point and shoot'). It'll be mid next year by time I can afford to buy a better camera, and hopefully built enough knowlegde and experience to use it properly by that time :rolleyes:

Raymie

Yeh.. I love old churches too Scott, Abbeys in particular. I have more on my Facebook "Raymie Greenlees"
We have one in Paisley called "Paisley Abbey" nearly1000 yrs old and the old girl is still in use.

Good luck with scraping the cash together for your new set up :)

Somersetscott

Ah Very nice! very well kept by the look of it. (Googled it)

I live quite close to Glastonbury Tor (Not sure what is is used for or its history) and near Wells (Wells Cathedrel) but the town I work is home to Sherborne Abbey, a very nice sandstone/hamstone building - not sure on the ages of them but I can be certain they are older than us! :cool: All still very much in use, The one time I went up the tor there where Druids huddled in a circle singing inside with their eyes shut - decided not to hang around long.

twinkle_2k86

I did my first fireworks this year, i didnt have any filters on, long exposure,manual focus, shot in RAW, and they came out really good for a first attempt i thought.

Raymie

That's how I woulda done it... Focus on an old church/building then hit the remote shutter release :)
I'd love to see the results Twinkle if it's possible.

Raymie

S'Ok Jon I had a wee nosey about on your Facebook mate, Very impressive.. very impressive indeed my friend :) Feel free to add me if you want, "Raymie Greenlees"