Camera fairs (Conventions for our US friends)

§am

I went last year before going to the USA.
Had a good play with different cameras, lenses (Nikon, Canon and Sony), also some bags, flashes etc etc.

Good place to pick up a bargain (if you look hard enough), but also good to pick up some tips and tricks.
There's an element of the show that makes you think its geared more towards the professionals (or those making a living from photography), but if you're in the 'for fun' category like me, then there's plenty to see as well.

I was particularly interested by the photo books, photo frames etc that companies had to offer, which you don't necessarily see in shops, but are there for people in the know and who use them often :)

§am

I forgot to mention, a lot of the good UK camera shops like Calumet are there, as well as the high street lot (Jessops, Jacobs), and they bring a good range of lenses with them.

Ideal if you're hunting for a new lens and aren't 100% sure, as they let you try out the lens on your camera (well the few people who asked seemed to have got a good reply).
Course if they don't, then the likes of Nikon, Sigma & Tamron are there too.
The Nikon stand staff were very good. They had a whole section where all their current range of boides was set out, and they had a good selection of lenses that you could mix & match with the bodies to 'play around' with.
When I went earlier this year, there was a whole section (and LONG queue) to get hands on with the D800, and also an section where they had put some of the BIG lenses out, like the 400/500/600mm (stuff you probably wouldn't get to use often)