Charger has blown up

liz_Whit

Hi

I've only had my D3100 a couple of months (and I'm on my 2nd post already !).

I'm based in the UK and have the charger adapter attached. I've never really had a problem before, but the other night I went to plug it in to an active socket (ie. the switch on the socket was already ON), and the charger blew up and shorted the whole house. Needless to say it has blown my charger and I now need to replace it, but I have never had any electrical problems at all in the house before.

I am wondering if this is a fault with the charger voltage or not, and if I can claim it back on my warranty. Have any other Nikon owners experienced this before ?

Many thanks

Liz

wysiwyg

Hi Liz - firstly - did you buy your camera from a UK retailer ? if so it should be covered under the Nikon i year warranty (or 2 years if you registered online within 30 days of purchase!) - I would contact Nikon directly and let them know that it "stopped" working - however I would make no mention of the electrical blow out ! Nikon should replace / repair under warranty.

§am

I'd contact Nikon and tell them it has stopped working - no doubt they will want to know why, in which case it might not harm you to tell them it 'blew up' in the wall socket. There may be a manufacturing fault that affects other chargers in the same batch, and who knows, you might be saving someone in the long run from getting a nasty burn.

Your UK warranty should cover it either way